Spotting scopes

Steve Petersen

I’m looking to get a new spotting scope to replace my current spotter which is an NC STAR (I’ve had it over 20 years now). I laugh at myself for it so no need to join in. I’m looking at a 20-80x50 or similar, as that’s what I currently have. With my current spotter once I get to 60x or so I’m unable to focus and get a clear picture. I am limited to about $500 on this purchase. I know, I know, I know you get what you pay for but with today’s optics, $500 can still get you a lot. I’ve got an angled eye piece currently and like it for most applications, but I’m not opposed to a straight eye piece either. My spotting use ranges from point blank range to 10+ miles. It’s vast open tracks of land to clear cuts and open pockets of timber across canyons.
What spotters are y’all running and how do you like them AND how do they function at the higher magnifications?
Thanks in advance for your .02

I’ve really liked my Meade Wilderness (20-60x80mm). Doesn’t fog up. Costs about 200. 50oz. Mounts well to my carbon fiber tripod. But fair warning - its great for spotting near the car though it’s a little cumbersome to pack into the field. Really good quality at max magnification. Doesn’t have the warranty or smaller size of a Vortex or a Leupold spotter. And of course full disclosure - I’m in Tennessee and have not tried using a Meade in the mountains of the west.
Here’s the info for the 200 dollar Meade and then the 500 dollar vortex diamondback (16-48x65mm) spotter for comparison.

Edited:link to web store removed

Looking forward to seeing what other people use too!

Last edited by a moderator:
The past several years, I use a Swarovski STS 65 - 20-60x
The Kid uses a Vortex Optics Diamondback Spotting Scope 20X-60X
Each gets the job done. The Vortex had issues twice, but factory service has been outstanding. On the second issue they gave him a new scope. He lost bino covers. They sent him new ones, no charge and a hat. Excellent service from Vortex.

I’m looking to get a new spotting scope to replace my current spotter which is an NC STAR (I’ve had it over 20 years now). I laugh at myself for it so no need to join in. I’m looking at a 20-80x50 or similar, as that’s what I currently have. With my current spotter once I get to 60x or so I’m unable to focus and get a clear picture. I am limited to about $500 on this purchase. I know, I know, I know you get what you pay for but with today’s optics, $500 can still get you a lot. I’ve got an angled eye piece currently and like it for most applications, but I’m not opposed to a straight eye piece either. My spotting use ranges from point blank range to 10+ miles. It’s vast open tracks of land to clear cuts and open pockets of timber across canyons.
What spotters are y’all running and how do you like them AND how do they function at the higher magnifications?
Thanks in advance for your .02
Please PM me. I have some ideas for you. But I will say this, a 50mm spotter that even goes above 40X is poorly designed because the exit pupil is not even usable once you get that small of diameter. There is no magic that can be done to have a quality picture at high magnification on a small diameter objective. NONE... not even swaro can do that nor would they try. The higher the magnification you want to use, the larger the objective you need to have.

Each gets the job done. The Vortex had issues twice, but factory service has been outstanding. On the second issue they gave him a new scope. He lost bino covers. They sent him new ones, no charge and a hat. Excellent service from Vortex.
I’ve got a couple Vortex rifle scopes so I’m familiar with those. I’ve heard mixed reviews about the Diamondback spotter.

Nikon has pretty good glass in their high end spotters. Even the 20 year old stuff is going to be better than the new stuff that's cheap. I'd look for something used.

I’m in need of a spotter too. Was leaning towards Leupold sx-4, new maven cs.1, or athlon ares. Heard great things about the Athlon

I have a brand new 20-60 x85 cabelas top end straight with tri pod. It is really a vortex. Never in the woods. 500.00 send me a pm if interested with cell # and I will send pictures. Sam

I have a Redfield Rampage 20-60x60mm. It was under $300. Fits nice in my pack. It to does the job but at high mag the very center of image blures out. You can just look around it. Good glass is never cheap. Sucks

Thanks y’all for the info. I’ve got a lot of research to keep me occupied while laid up at home.

I'm underwhelmed with my Vortex Diamondback spotter. I'm not sure how they compare with others in that price range, but I wished I would have saved up and got something better. (Bet y'all never heard that before hahaha!)

The Nikon is a very good scope for app $1,500. I compared it with the Vortex branded product and the Meopta. It was better to my eyes than the Vortex. The Meopta is an excellent scope. I bought the Nikon, but the Meopta could have easily been the choice.

I was looking for a good quality mid-price spotter for those times where I did not want to take the Swarovski.

+1 on the Swaro.

I run a Swaro ATX 65. Expensive but fantastic. A little heavy for backpack hunting, but incredible for skid road pullouts. One I got a quality lightweight tripod to support it, I found it much easier to pack on my back.

I do wish I had explored the angled vs straight eyepiece thing more before laying down that kind of money. I find now that I would really like the straight eyepiece.

It's been said on here before, the real spotter experts are the birding folks. Go lurk on their forums and gear review sites about glass.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back