Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Spotting scope window mount

Dakota79

Any of you have recommendations on a good window mount to use with a spotting scope?

Anyone have any recommendations of a brand to absolutely stay away from?

I've been looking around and they're anywhere from $30 and up and was wondering if there's much of a difference in your experience.

The inexpensive models work do well enough for most users.

The spotter will have to be screwed directly into an inexpensive window mount. The better window mount models operate more smoothly and have quick attach plates that can be put onto cameras and spotting scopes to make switching easy. The better tripods also have quick attach plates so it makes sense to match the window mount to the tripod so that cameras and spotters are easily attached. The plates are relatively inexpensive and are screwed into each camera or spotter, afterwards it is simple and fast to snap them into the window mount or tripod.

I use Manfrotto tripods so I usually also use Manfrotto window mounts. I also have a couple of the inexpensive models that I use occasionally (or lend) and they do work reasonably well.

For the handful of days a year I use it I don't mind the cheapo Nikon with plate. If I used it much more I'd upgrade, it does kinda suck if you're used to good heads.

For the handful of days a year I use it I don't mind the cheapo Nikon with plate. If I used it much more I'd upgrade, it does kinda suck if you're used to good heads.
That is the one I went with just to try something out and go from there.

Back