Speaking of cold weather ducking

mtmiller

Axl and I got out to chase some birds around this weekend. The weather was a bit on the chilly side, but we made due.

Saturday found us picking up a limit pretty quickly. Ended up with 5 greenheads and a nice green wing drake. The water was a bit cold for me, so I had Axl pick up the decoys. :D
P1150736.JPG

I had lots of time left in the day, so I headed to another area and found a few honkers. I would rather decoy geese in, but the decoys were at home. I decided to put the sneak on and it ended up rather productive. Although I wasn't able to fool the geese with a great set-up, it was still big fun.

Axl had to stay in the pick-up, but had his mouth full for a while after I brought him down.

The goose in the water was easy enough...
P1150754.JPG

...but getting the next one proved to be a little harder. Ax was a little pissed about not being able to get up on the ice shelf. :BLEEP:
P1150780.JPG

He finally got it done and even brought me one with jewelry. hump
P1150835.JPG

Ax is a big boy, but after retrieving 4 honkers in a row he was a little tired. Guess he is getting old, he had to take a couple second break on the last bird. :D

Ended up being a very good day for the two of us.
P1150849.JPG

This morning it was a little on the cool side again. He is the view from the pick-up while I was waiting for some light.
P1160002.JPG

Duck hunters aren't the smartest bunch. :D

We did end up with a limit of mallards, but couldn't find that sixth duck to fill the bag. Also picked up a couple more Canadas and decided it was time to call it a day.
P1160097.JPG

I think Axl may enjoy the cold days more than others. At least he gets to ride in the front seat when it is too cold. :D

Great pics as usual. Axl looks like he enjoys the end of deer season. Nice limits of birds and congrats on the jewelry.

Nemont

Looks like alot of fun man. Cograts, great pic of Axl barking at the eedge of the ice....

That would make a great motivational poster titled...." DESIRE"

Good stuff man.

Very cool... man you must have that camera ready at all times. That pic with Axl trying to get on the ice is priceless!

I'm with B...you gotta send that ice pic in to the magazines. That is the best dog/waterfowl pic i've ever seen professional or not. Congrats on a stud of a dog and a mess of birds thanks for sharing.

Aaron

I curse you and your bling mtmiller!

We got into them again on Sunday, 16 geese and 16 ducks (all greenheads). It was 1 degree when we set up that morning and my camera wasn't working in the cold after a couple of hours so I got no pics. I won't get out again until next Tuesday now...:(

I also need to get a canoe so I can hunt on the river. I've found a string of 5 islands that are crawling with fowl but the river is too deep for me to wade out to them. They literally look like green maggots on the little bars. We saw a couple of pintail but couldn't get shots at them and even saw a Can on the river.

Smalls, don't tell me about the sprigs and cans. I can't touch them over here since the season closed in Nov. I was shut out on cans for the first time ever this year. :(

Maybe you should borrow a canoe for now and pick up a marsh boat this winter. Might be more options in the future with a little marsh boat.

Best of luck with the rest of the season.

Back