MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Son's First Elk!

My Son harvested his first elk on Saturday, 30 Dec 2017! He got her in Colorado Unit 201. He drew a 1st season cow tag this year, but we were not able to harvest a cow during the 1st season. We hunted for four days during the 1st season and although we did see a few here and there he was never able to get a shot. Thanks to Colorado's regulations that youth can hunt in subsequent seasons we made the trip back up to 201 during the Christmas break. We spotted a large heard of cows and spikes (probably 60 or 70 elk) over a mile away. We were able to drive parallel to the heard and hike to the top of the first ridge and look down on them. The wind was right and they had no idea we were there. We were able to crawl through the snow and get him set up on a nice big rock. Many of them were bedded down. There were only maybe 3 or 4 that were up feeding that we could see. He got lined up on one at 125 yards away and squeezed the trigger. Nothing happened. The cow he was shooting at didn't tip over and certainly didn't act hit. The whole hillside came alive. More elk than we even knew were there took off still not knowing where the shot came from. I was confident he had somehow missed. I quickly asked him how he felt about the shot and he said "not very good... I was shaky". The heard stopped to try and figure out where the shot had come from and where to run next. He got lined up on another cow and shot again. I had no idea which cow he was shooting at because there were so many. As soon as he shot the second time he exploded with excitement..."She's down! She's down! She's Down Dad!" I still had no idea which one he had shot and where she was down at. He finally pointed her out to me and sure enough she was down. He said she dropped in her tracks... did not take a step. He made a great upper lung shot. He shoots a 7mm-08 with a 140 grain Nosler Partition. I measured the distance with GPS at 340 yards. How he misses a 125 yard shot and connects at 340 yards is anyone's guess!?!? It was a glorious day and one that neither of us will ever forget!

Attachments

• IMG_6548.jpg
    IMG_6548.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6571.jpg
    IMG_6571.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6612.jpg
    IMG_6612.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 20
Back