Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Solo black bear hunting

Hey all,

I am a newer hunter, and have yet to harvest my first big game animal. My sources for learning are podcasts and YouTube.

I will have Colorado OTC archery elk and bear tags this September, and for part of the season I will be solo hunting. I want to prioritize my bear tag with habitat selection, and would love to have a rug if I harvest a bear. I have been watching how-to videos on field dressing and skinning a bear in the field. Other than the slim chance of me harvest the animal next to my truck, it seems like a daunting task skinning and retrieving a bear solo in the September heat. Am I biting off more than I can chew trying to do this solo for my first big game animal? Any recommendations for retrieving if I’m miles from my truck?

Thanks for any advice!
Well how did the bear/elk hunt go?

Well how did the bear/elk hunt go?
I got some bulls in close, but I only had a cow tag. Was a cool experience to see the practice on my calling finally pay off, and know there were elk in the area, but didn’t get close to any cows.

I’d say my e-scouting for bear was successful for the alternate area. I found two creek areas loaded with berry bushes. Lots of bear scat with the berries in it… but couldn’t get an eyes on bear. Covered a lot of miles along the creek area, bear scat the whole way, but couldn’t catch them feeding or drinking. I was camped next to the only other guy in the area and he said he saw a bear that morning (day before opening). But I never saw it or any others. They were definitely there though. Saw a guy with one in the back of his truck up the road.

Attachments

• 2E239927-DAC9-4508-867A-3DECCC8840B0.jpeg
    2E239927-DAC9-4508-867A-3DECCC8840B0.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back