Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Snowpack around Bozeman

TRS_Montana

I used to live in the Bozeman area and moved to Helena this past summer, so I can't keep track of my primary bear spots around Bozeman and what the snowpack is doing in the mountains. I was wondering what the snowpack looks like around Bozeman. Is anything starting to green up? I am planning on coming down to hunt the weekends of May 1st and May 8th. Any thoughts on whether that will be too early?

I live south of Helena, and I would guess Bozeman area snowlines are similar to ours(>7500ish). A few possible resources you may want to try though:

- Reference Snotel Sites. You could do this via a lot of sources, but a friend of mine created the Montana Powfinder and it is an easy to use interactive web map created for skiers that has Snotel popups. Give it a try.

- If where you are looking to hunt is at a specific elevation and area, I will often reference the Montana Department of Transportation's Highway Cameras. They can at least help you infer some things.

-Maybe the best thing to use is NASA's Worldview . It is pretty much the closest thing to live satellite imagery out there. Drag the slider at the bottom of the page to view different days and times, the only drawback is cloud cover can obscure your research area. That said, dragging it back to April 21, the hills around Bozeman are visible as is the snowline.

Good luck!

Back