Caribou Gear

Snow Machine/Snow Mobile Hunting

ThunderNocked

So I'm getting ready to head out for my last opportunity for Caribou for the 2020/2021 season. If all goes as planned I'll have my new Double Broomed Mountain Rifle Ovis Hunter in 280AI and we will be heading out on the snow machines to try and locate part of the scattered herd.
I'm still new to riding snow machines - and I've been having an issue with my goggles fogging up and my the neck gaiters putting all the moisture into my neck and freezing into my beard and along my neck causing me to get cold as well as pushing condensation up into my goggle causing freeze up.

I was running with two wool neck gaiters- Black Ovis Merino and an outter one I don't remember the brand. These tend to keep to much moisture in though. We ride in temperatures that dip pretty low - the Caribou I shot earlier this year it was -5 with windchill in the -12 range. I'm looking for a better face wrap/mask solution and I have a buddy who rides with a wrap that has a beak to allow condensation to form and drip off/freeze. For anybody with experience what do you run with and how do you stay warm and keep your goggles from freezing. I just wear a beanie - no helmet. Thanks!
Snow Machining.jpg

Fullface helmet my man . Better safe than sorry . Better to have it an not need it than to need it and not have it . One could find some good sales early spring on head gear like that .

Onky reason I wear a helmet is to keep my face from freezing. Can crack it open a bit when needed so you don’t fog up

So I'm getting ready to head out for my last opportunity for Caribou for the 2020/2021 season. If all goes as planned I'll have my new Double Broomed Mountain Rifle Ovis Hunter in 280AI and we will be heading out on the snow machines to try and locate part of the scattered herd.
I'm still new to riding snow machines - and I've been having an issue with my goggles fogging up and my the neck gaiters putting all the moisture into my neck and freezing into my beard and along my neck causing me to get cold as well as pushing condensation up into my goggle causing freeze up.

I was running with two wool neck gaiters- Black Ovis Merino and an outter one I don't remember the brand. These tend to keep to much moisture in though. We ride in temperatures that dip pretty low - the Caribou I shot earlier this year it was -5 with windchill in the -12 range. I'm looking for a better face wrap/mask solution and I have a buddy who rides with a wrap that has a beak to allow condensation to form and drip off/freeze. For anybody with experience what do you run with and how do you stay warm and keep your goggles from freezing. I just wear a beanie - no helmet. Thanks!
View attachment 176687
Heated goggles work well from what I hear on the snowmobile forums. I believe Klim makes a good pair, but heated ones are a little spendy.

I agree - full face helmet. Warmth and protection. Chit happens on snowmobiles. I have hunted caribou during January in the James Bay Region on self guided hunts using snowmobiles to access hunt areas. I have run snowmobiles extensively since 1967. Wear a helmet !!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back