Smoker recipe maranade.

OntarioHunter

Thought I would pass this along. Started out with a recipe I downloaded somewhere that was too spicy hot (way too hot!) and a bit too much garlic. I modified it considerably and seem to have come up with a winner.

3 tablespoons coarse salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
3/4 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup Worcesershire sauce
1 tablespoon (max!) garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

Mix together in a large bowl. Add meat till just covered with liquid. Four honker breasts cut into strips is about right. I also pound the honker strips against the grain with edge of saucer to tenderize. Let soak covered in the fridge for at least a couple of days, stirring the meat up occasionally. Smoke till meat is desired dryness. This varies depending on style, size, and type of smoker (propane vs electric), and weather. Just keep an eye on it.

This recipe produces warm jerky. Not rocket fuel hot (that would be the original recipe!). If you like it hot just double the pepper ingredients. Enjoy.

Do your dogs like it?
Well, now that you mention it ... the goose meat I just smoked is so gawdamn tough they are getting to sample it ... a lot. I only left the meat in the marinade for one day. Knew that bird was tough because I could barely cut the meat into strips with Martini fillet knife. Should have let it soak at least three days. Tastes great but requires wire cutters to tear off a chunk small enough to chew ... and chew ... and chew. My Lab looks like she's working on a big gob of bubblegum.

I’ll have to give that a try as I try to use the last of my goose meat before September hits

Thought I would pass this along. Started out with a recipe I downloaded somewhere that was too spicy hot (way too hot!) and a bit too much garlic. I modified it considerably and seem to have come up with a winner.

3 tablespoons coarse salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
3/4 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup Worcesershire sauce
1 tablespoon (max!) garlic powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

Mix together in a large bowl. Add meat till just covered with liquid. Four honker breasts cut into strips is about right. I also pound the honker strips against the grain with edge of saucer to tenderize. Let soak covered in the fridge for at least a couple of days, stirring the meat up occasionally. Smoke till meat is desired dryness. This varies depending on style, size, and type of smoker (propane vs electric), and weather. Just keep an eye on it.

This recipe produces warm jerky. Not rocket fuel hot (that would be the original recipe!). If you like it hot just double the pepper ingredients. Enjoy.
I use a very similar marinade for my goose jerky. minus the brown sugar. Then I'll make a batch for the kids minus the red pepper with the brown sugar

Always cut with the grain though for mine, jerky is supposed to be tough imo.

Last edited:
I appreciate all recipes for wild game. My neighbor provided some great slow cooked pork, but I am always challenged by wild game containing so little fat.

Any help with using a pellet grill with wild game is also appreciated.

I appreciate all recipes for wild game. My neighbor provided some great slow cooked pork, but I am always challenged by wild game containing so little fat.

There are some good chefs here. Stay around and ask questions and post up some pics of your meals. The folks here will help you out!

Low and slow...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back