Sleeping Bag recommendations for CO/WY/ID October Elk Hunts

There is a lot to consider in my opinion.
What will the shelter consist of?
Do you sleep hot or cold?
Backpack in or camp at the truck?

I would agree with 20 degrees the outside temp but you know you. It would suck to buy a bag and then be 5 miles from the truck and freeze your butt off wishing you had bought a zero.

Id go with a 15 degree and then also get a cocoon mummy liner you can throw in incase it gets colder than expected. Those liners generally add 10 degrees of warmth to a bag. Also if your in a tent that gets a lot of condensation then Id recommend a Stone Glacier, they seem to have some water resistant material on them. If your sleeping bag gets wet, your trip may be cut short.

I am also a fan of the two bag system. One bag is light and the other medium. The beauty of the two bag system is the removal of moisture while you sleep. If you are wet at all the moisture will wick to the outside bag.

I have a Big Agnes Cinnabar -20F. Used it 1x. If you want it, I'll sell it to you 40% off retail. Excellent condition.

Reactions: JAG
Id go with a 15 degree and then also get a cocoon mummy liner you can throw in incase it gets colder than expected. Those liners generally add 10 degrees of warmth to a bag. Also if your in a tent that gets a lot of condensation then Id recommend a Stone Glacier, they seem to have some water resistant material on them. If your sleeping bag gets wet, your trip may be cut short.
That's my approach - 15 deg bag with a silk liner. Stayed more than warm enough down to 0-deg air temps in a floorless tipi tent. And if you really want to stay warm, add a pair of down booties to sleep in. Warm feet makes a huge difference!

Personally I don't like a really low temp rated bag. I prefer to wear my base layer and a hat. But I sleep hot. No fun waking up sweating.

I took a 20-degree bag into Colorado for 1st rifle and it got down to 7 the first night there. I was really glad I brought an extra blanket and puffy pants. I survived but man was I cold. The rest of the nights it only got down into the 20s and I was fine. IMO the most important part of the sleep system is the sleeping pad. If you get a cheap pad with a poor r-value, it doesn't matter what degree bag you have.

I like something in the 0-15* Range. My fall bag is a Western Mountaineering Versalite (with overfill), and I've found it about perfect. Another that I've had and found excellent is the WM Antelope.

I have a 15-degree bag and a wool hat; it is only just right for early rifle October in Colorado snow. I agree with the posters above who suggest a 0-degree bag plus liner. If I were to buy another bag, I will go with 0-degree bags. If you get hot, open it up; cold, you're sol.

In the backcountry, we found a few old campsites and selected one where the previous camper cut up fir branches for ground insulation. Our inflatable sleeping pad gives extra loft. A 0-degree bag has no loft under you, so a good pad or straw and/or fluffy branches give extra insulation.

Howdy. Here you go:

Sea to Summit Ascent AcIII 0 degrees (F) Sleeping Bag

Awesome bag for the money! $450ish
Sometimes it is hard to find in stock as it sells out often.
Get some quality pads. Usually one inflatable and one closed cell pad is a good plan.
And as Werty said, "Also, a stocking cap can make a big difference". Wear some kind of warm hat.

81340AAE-AED2-49B7-8E48-8B4C524C1A36.png0 deg marmot never summer with down blanket is my standby. Put puffy’s on with a hat and neck gaiter and crawl in. Worst night we had was -44 with the windchill(at least at the weather station)I had a nalgene with hot water in my bag to help.

I use the military three bag system with gortex cover. That way I can pack based on weather I am going to expect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back