Caribou Gear

SILENCE!!

josh

I have read some people believe the only reason for a hound being silent is an impurity in the bloodline somewhare. Just because a dog is registered dosent nessisarily mean someone didnt fudge lineage somewhare along the line, but some of my registered dogs have been almost silent....but not quite.....I am just wondering what other opinions are on this?

This subject been talked about a 100 different ways, some say its the excitablilty level of the dog, how much scent it needs to get excited to bark on track, I think its probably a combination of a bunch of stuff, exactly what I not sure of that, not a head shrink and its kinda hard to analize a dogs brain...lol. I do feel its a inherited trait passed down I have heard oldtimers say you can pick up traits as far back as 10 generations, I am a little skeptic bout that far back, I know just in 3 generations you can was down blood purty good, I don;t like silent dogs and there for find the fault bad. I like to hear the race and be able to tell which direction there going and listen to the tone and tempo, to understand whats going on, less I need to use my tracking box better off I am, in this rocky country I hunt you can get alot of bad bounce with your system and with a silent dog, that only adds to the flustration

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

The silent dogs I have hunted with I had the impression from them that they where very intelligent dogs.several where very open when pups and as they got more experience they got more and more silent.They seemed to know how to sneak up on there game.I have seen dogs that where silent on coon but open on other game.I would like to try one on our cats.I think our coyotes have trained them not to tree.20 years ago when we had very few coyotes we treed lots of cats.Now we mite tree 1 in 20 if we are lucky.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

we got a few billion coyotes out here, cats still tree, maybe you just killed all the dumb ones that climbed....lol, there all to smart now...lol, a bobcat thats been educated a few times can get smart on ya and tricky to catch, I have watched my dogs trail out and jump in front of me, watched the bobcat bounce up ledge to ledge like a rubber ball and stop and look back at the dogs out of curiosity, and like they say curiosity killed the cat....I know in real brushy country where underbrush is thick cats can really pull the slip on a dog easy, exspecially if they start making tight loops purty soon dogs are going to make a loose on it and have a hard time picking it back up and lining it out after being tracked up to much but in this more open country I hunt in, if a cat stays running to long after hes jumped without climbin or finding a hole these dogs going to ground the cat. Alot of people will say ya gotta have a silent dog to trail out on them and suprise them, but I look at what type of dog these guys on the coast are running that are catchin 60-100 bobs a yr, and there not silent trailers, and there percentage of catch to turnouts are extremly high so between the numbers, its easy to see what type of dog I want, exactly what there using. Reason I hunt hounds cause I love to listen to the music they make, gets your blood to pumping, listening to the trail there moving out on being told out as a song as the trail begins to unfold, hunting a silent dog isn't enjoyable to me but thats my personal preferance

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

I sure do agree with you on the music.I love to here the hounds tell there story when there chasing.Like you said erlier if you know your hounds voice you know what there doing.My best cat dog died this fall so this is a rebuilding year for me.For the last 6 years we have only had about a week of good running conditions a year so its been hard to train a cat dog.Where can I get one of them 60 to 100 cats a year dogs????????

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

Tobey, I have noticed a progressive tendency to get more quiet as the dog ages also. I think most hound hunters love to hear their dogs sing(I do) but I wont argue that a quieter dog might ultimatly put more fur on the streacher.

Tobey if your serious, I'll keep my ears open for ya I communicate with several die-hard cat hunters from the coast on a regular basis , but when they have a dog for sale you have to take a morgage out on your house to afford them, pretty high dollar stuff.

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

I would be interested in any good cat hound!!! and if there a good cat hound there worth high dollars.I could have made a lot of money this winter guiding cat hunts if I had one top hound.I will not take anyones money for a hunt unless I am 90% sure I can send them home Happy and wanting to book again.

Back