Caribou Gear

Sidearm gunlight

I don’t run lights on any pistol. I don’t think it’s needed. Most gun fights with 2 legged critters happen at 3-7 feet and reflexive shooting will get the job done. In the wilds i either have a headlamp on me or being use to the dark is good enough.

Last edited:
Nope, I get it.

Is there a new member registration gift? 50 rounds of 9mm, 20 free hair ties for creedmoor shooters?

Kidding.
Don't be such a salty bitch, creedmoor shooters get free bootlace wax and gluten free hair nets . Hair ties are so SAUM, try to keep up buddy!

Having carried without a light for years and now with one for a year... get the light. You absolutely will not notice it. Get a good form factor light not a gargantuan one, Mines the nightstick tcm-550xl. Streamlight is ok. Fenix is absolutely top tier right beside surefire and they just released their first weapons light. Alot of good options. The 500 ish lumen models are definitely sufficient.

I carried bare handgun for many years with a flashlight in my pocket. It works. It takes two hands and access to both sides of your body and coordination. I've killed quite a few foxes like this. DONT FORGET night sights (tritium), lights half worthless if you don't have easily viewable sights to aim. The comment about headlamps, bad idea. I missed an opportunity at a fox because it was trotting by, I whipped out the glock and flashlight and aimed. I couldn't see a darn thing. Checked the gun, it's good, aimed again, couldn't see anything, realized my headlamps was on! By the time I turned it off fox was gone. Headlamps and defensive use of your pistol don't mix.

I also realized while out and about (Street clothes) the gun/seperate flashlight was fine. But hunting my flashlight is never readily accessible or in the same spot. Especially when it's colder I'm wearing bibs and or have my pack on my back. I realized the ultimate way to carry while hunting no matter what season, or clothing, or pack or in tree saddle or on ground is a chest holster. So to also eliminate the variable of having a flashlight im searching for with a potential pissed off bear/human/mountain lions walking in in the dark, I ordered a chest holster to accommodate a weapon mounted light. Then ordered a IWB holster to accept same combo. And yes, I carry hardcast when hunting, hollow points when not.

Never looking back now. I've never noticed a difference at all carrying. Just as easy and unnoticeable to carry, but it's so nice having that extremely simple and reliable way of carrying (light is always on gun) I only have to think of one thing, pull out the gun. That's it. And it could make all the difference in a real emergency

For everything else I still carry a flashlight and use it all the time. I highly recommend either a Fenix LD40 or PD35.

To the OP. Go somewhere you can do some shooting in the middle of the night. practice shooting in the dark with a light, without one, with a headlamp. Figure out which makes you most effective, and then go with that.

To those who think a light is pointless/counter productive in a self defense situation, a light isn't to help you hit something, it is to make sure you shoot the right person. As much as you might want to, you will probably regret shooting your daughters boyfriend sneaking in/out of your house in the wee hours, or killing an unarmed kid in a dark alley. Be careful who you take advice from....

Y'all are bad influences. Went out yesterday and snagged a TLR-1 HL to split between my G20 and G19, already pondering lights for my Bren and Scorpion.

To the OP. Go somewhere you can do some shooting in the middle of the night. practice shooting in the dark with a light, without one, with a headlamp. Figure out which makes you most effective, and then go with that.

To those who think a light is pointless/counter productive in a self defense situation, a light isn't to help you hit something, it is to make sure you shoot the right person. As much as you might want to, you will probably regret shooting your daughters boyfriend sneaking in/out of your house in the wee hours, or killing an unarmed kid in a dark alley. Be careful who you take advice from....
Your 1000% correct. You can't shoot what you can't see. And really shouldn't shoot what you can't positively identify as a threat. Could kill innocent people and spend your life in prison. This is why I have a light on my sidearm so I can always see what I need to shoot. And a regular flashlight to always be able to identify what's a threat or not, or find keys or any other useful thing. It's not very good to whip the glock out to use the light mounted on it to find the thing you dropped on the floor in the movie theater.

I do a lot of low light, no light shooting with a light so feel comfortable with it. I always use the light at work. Never thought to try a headlamp. Went out and tried it and the headlamp sucked for site acquisition. Very good point you made and thanks for the reply!

No pistol is as powerful as a 12 gauge brenneke slug.
No 12 gauge has the coverage of bear spray.
So, if you must mount a thing on a gun, I recommend ATN Corp. IR on a 12 gauge as backup to your bear spray. 1691084652511.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back