Should I dump my oem plastic Savage 16 stock? (and what should I replace it with?)

yakimanoob

My big game rifle is a Savage 16 Lightweight Hunter chambered in 7mm-08 (under a Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10x42), and now that I'm able to hand load and chronograph, I'm on a mission to up my precision a bit. The goal is to be able to confidently ring steel out to 800 yds or so, i.e., I want to be confident shooting well past the effective range of the bullet for hunting purposes but I don't have any particular drive to venture into the ELR realm.

My preferred poison is high mountain hunting in the WA Cascades, so I put a serious premium on lightweight gear. Fighting weight for my weapon at the moment is hovering around 8lbs. I'd be ok adding a few ounces there if it gives me an accuracy boost, but I don't want to add more weight than I have to.

I've currently got the OEM plastic stock on it, and have looked at things like the hogue, b&c, boyds, as-yet-still-pending magpul hunter, etc.

This would be the first time I've every purchased an aftermarket stock, so any advice is welcome. Do you think a new stock will even make a difference? And if so, what should I be looking for / avoiding?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't see changing the stock adding a whole lot to accuracy. Plastic is about as solid as concrete and light as it gets. Maybe think about changing the barrel? Easy to do with Savage rifles I'm told.

I'd absolutely put that rifle into a different stock if you like it otherwise. A new stock could maybe help you tighten groups up, but I wouldn't bank on it. If Magpul comes out with a Hunter stock for the Savage I'd skip it, that stock adds significant weight and bulk to the Ruger American and Remington 700, so I'd bet it will to Savage as well. If you want to spend some money on a nice light stock, see if Manners or McMillan inlet for it, all the B&Cs if checked out were really nice for their price.

keep the factory stock for now. Too close to season to be messing with things like that.
After season, if you want to change stocks, i'd look for the lightest i could find.
B&C is not in that hunt.
Don't get me wrongs, i like their stocks. But not light.

do the action tuning! You'd be surprised how much it changes group size!

If your going for distance, up your bullet weight to get a better BC.
This may involve reaming the throat to seat the bullet out and make use of all the case capacity.

I would shoot it to get a handle on the group size and see how it performs out at 500 yds. Eliminate any possible scope issues. Get a trigger that breaks under 2.5 lbs. You could try bedding the stock. There can be torsion issues on certain cheap factory stocks with a magnum that can affect accuracy. I doubt that you would have those issues with your caliber though. If you do want a different stock I’d go for a quality carbon-fiber stock to keep you rifle light.

I am a fan of Boyd's stocks. Good laminate stocks with lots of options. Pillar and glass bedding for best accuracy. Laminate does get kind of heavy thought.

Howdy. Check the stocks out at Mcmillan stocks. They may offer what you want in a hunting rifle. I am curious about how much they weight.

I lot of the Remington 700 stocks have too much flex to shoot well. I’m not sure about Savage. I would guess that most composite stocks will add very little weight if any, but I can’t say that I’ve weighed any of those plastic stocks. Most composite hunting stocks weigh close to 2lbs. You can get them substantially lighter from certain companies in certain models.

My big game rifle is a Savage 16 Lightweight Hunter chambered in 7mm-08 (under a Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10x42), and now that I'm able to hand load and chronograph, I'm on a mission to up my precision a bit. The goal is to be able to confidently ring steel out to 800 yds or so, i.e., I want to be confident shooting well past the effective range of the bullet for hunting purposes but I don't have any particular drive to venture into the ELR realm.

My preferred poison is high mountain hunting in the WA Cascades, so I put a serious premium on lightweight gear. Fighting weight for my weapon at the moment is hovering around 8lbs. I'd be ok adding a few ounces there if it gives me an accuracy boost, but I don't want to add more weight than I have to.

I've currently got the OEM plastic stock on it, and have looked at things like the hogue, b&c, boyds, as-yet-still-pending magpul hunter, etc.

This would be the first time I've every purchased an aftermarket stock, so any advice is welcome. Do you think a new stock will even make a difference? And if so, what should I be looking for / avoiding?

Thanks in advance for the help.
I don't know if HS Precision makes one for your rifle, but Howa sent me one to replace my factory Hogue stock a few years back and the rifle was far more accurate after that.

Last edited:
Here is my take on this as I go through this thought process several times a year. I have a R700 ADL Varmint in .308. I had the barrel cut from 26" to 20" with a recessed target crown. With my handloads if I do my part, get right around .307" center to center at 100yds with 165gr Sierra GameKings. This is with the factory varmint stock. Barrel is not floated, as a matter of fact it has a pressure button molded in from the factory at the front end. With this performance I am actually afraid to change the stock.

I like Savage rifles, I have several, but I think you are probably better of going Tikka if you want lighter. I don't know of anyone making a lightweight stock for Savage rifles. There are quite a few out there for Tikka, I have been considering one for my Tikka. If grayboe made their lightweight outlander, I think that's the one anyways, for Savage, I would recommend that one. All the stocks you mentioned will add weight I suspect, a fair amount in most cases.

You should consider dremeling out the fore grip and the. Bed a pair of aluminum or carbon fiber arrows in to stiffen it.

You can also add shot weight and fill with epoxy to make it balance better.

Even if you get a Boyd stock, it will be of great benefit to glass bed the action as well in it.

I am a fan of Boyd's stocks. Good laminate stocks with lots of options. Pillar and glass bedding for best accuracy. Laminate does get kind of heavy thought.
Laminate weight is why I’m ditching my Boyd’s stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back