Shotgun Length of Pull

AlaskaHunter

At 6' 4" the typical stock shotgun length of pull of 14.25-14.5 inches is too short for me.
I recently acquired a CZ 20 gauge over/under.
I bought a limbsaver slip on pad which will add about an inch.
Classic Slip-On Recoil Pad
$47 which includes shipping to Montana.
I can fit shopmade plywood spacer shims in the pad and no one will see them.
For a 20 gauge CZ Redhead stock the butt dimension is 5.01" by 1.6"
so a classic slip on part#10547 up to 5.125" by 1.75" fit perfectly:
stock_lengthened_1inch.jpg
That lengthened the stock so the length of pull matched all my other shotguns. As a check for fit,
I taped a soda straw on the rib, closed my eyes and quickly mounted the shotgun.
Opened my eyes and was looking straight through the straw to the bead.
Repeated several times, and each time got a perfect alignment thru the straw to the bead.
shotgun_rib.jpg

I like your sighting method. I will have to try that.

If you have a belt sander or disk sander and you are handy with tools, you can make a leather covered pad.

CypO0C5.jpg

There are also leather lace-on pads that work quite well and you can put spacers in them as well.

I like your sighting method. I will have to try that.

If you have a belt sander or disk sander and you are handy with tools, you can make a leather covered pad.

CypO0C5.jpg

There are also leather lace-on pads that work quite well and you can put spacers in them as well.
Most of my tools are up in Alaska. When I get back home, I plan to make a walnut shim that matches the slip-on/shims.
The nice thing about the slip-on is fine-adjustments using 1/4 plywood shims that are never visible.

@BrentD dont tease us with just the butt pad… what is it we’re looking at there?
You have seen it before. It's a Cashmore Paragon. My favorite cheap gun. This weekend I am off to Tulsa in pursuit of a new girl. We shall see what success I have.

mSg7zIO.jpg

This video and a couple of others is really enough to get you started making your own leather covered pads. If I can, you can, anyone can. The pad on that Cashmore is my second one. I've done maybe 1/2 dozen since and helped a friend or two do them as well.

I also need a longer LOP and have been doing the same thing for years. A word of advice: toss that Limbsaver slip on! ESPECIALLY if you plan to add inserts inside it. They are too soft and squirrely. You will find the thing will not stay in place and shifts sideways on the butt. Also, they are so soft (especially when pulled on over existing pad) it will impede cocking on O/Us that use recoil from first shot to release hammer for second barrel. Pachmayer Decelerator is much better. However, their quick attach design also quick detaches easily. I have lost four of them pheasant hunting ... three in the last two years. I suggest getting a nice leather one with velcro flap. But get rid of that Limbsaver. You will sooner or later, I guarantee it.

I cut an insert out of a shower thong but plywood is probably the better idea. Again, it is possible to have too much recoil reduction. I had trouble getting my old A-5 long recoil auto to cycle properly and eventually had to change the mechanics.
20220922_141145.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't watched the soda straw video. Looks like a great tip. If it's not in there, I would add that the straw should line up when you mount the gun QUICKLY, not when shouldering and carefully aiming it. You're not supposed to aim a shotgun when shooting moving targets (as opposed to turkeys). Eyes are on the flying target only. The gun should point to it automatically without your eyes leaving target. That's why it's critical that the shotgun fit perfectly.

Most of my tools are up in Alaska. When I get back home, I plan to make a walnut shim that matches the slip-on/shims.
The nice thing about the slip-on is fine-adjustments using 1/4 plywood shims that are never visible.
Yes, and you can add and remove shims as you add and remove clothing layers. When I'm bundled up with several layers hunting pheasants in cold temps, I will pull the slip-on and put it in the gamebag. As the day warms up, the layers go in the bag and slip-on goes back on the gun.

Stick with plywood. Walnut cut that thin would probably crack under the strain. Home Depot sells craft quarter sheets of maple veneer plywood. Shims cut out of that stuff would be tough and dress up very nicely.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back