Shortening MZ barrel?

Curvebow

I’m tired of lugging around a mz with 26 or 28” barrels. After rifle season using my Remington Model 7’s with 18.5” barrels, it’s just unwieldy and adds weight. My shots have always been less than 100 yards and I’m thinking of shortening either a TC Triumph or Traditions Vortek Strikefire 50 cal (both) to 20 or 22”. Anyone have experience with 1) accuracy and 2) velocity after the cut?

Go to the website for Woodman Arms out of Fremont New Hampshire. The Patriot .45 or .50 rifle was built for the guys who track Whitetails in the North Woods. Light, short, fast and a joy to carry. My wife and I have the rifles in .45. I'm shooting 3/4" groups at 125 yards with 90 gr. of Blackhorn 209 and the .225 gr bullet sold by Woodman. I have had the rifle two years and tagged 6 deer with it. We do not miss lugging around the TC Triumph ! Over the past couple of years I have had several friends handle my Patriot. They all now own one.

Go to the website for Woodman Arms out of Fremont New Hampshire. The Patriot .45 or .50 rifle was built for the guys who track Whitetails in the North Woods. Light, short, fast and a joy to carry. My wife and I have the rifles in .45. I'm shooting 3/4" groups at 125 yards with 90 gr. of Blackhorn 209 and the .225 gr bullet sold by Woodman. I have had the rifle two years and tagged 6 deer with it. We do not miss lugging around the TC Triumph ! Over the past couple of years I have had several friends handle my Patriot. They all now own one.
Pretty cool F250.

The CVA Wolf barrel is 24” from the end of the muzzle to the breech face of the receiver. When measured from muzzle to the face of the breech plug, and removing the quick load bullet starter portion of the muzzle that has no rifling, the bore is 22.25” long. Accuracy is great and I’m getting 1900fps with a 300gr projectile in front of a max charge of 120gr Blackhorn by volume.

My .54 cal hawkin with a 32” barrel is pretty light. I’ll weigh it and get back with you.

Shorter isn’t always better with black powder. You need some length for efficiency

Thanks folks for the input. I'm thinking of contacting Western Powders as they make the BH 209 powder.

I've looked at the Woodman Arms gun on the BWB website. A friends son got a tour of the factory by Mark Woodman himself (my friends son is involved with BWB) recently and Mark built one for him while he watched. He likes the gun, it carries well he says but its only 2" shorter than his TC Triumph. He wasn't complaining about it, just pointing out a fact.

Thanks again and I'll check back and update if I decide to get out the hacksaw and order a crowning pilot! (I have a crowning tool already.)

Thanks folks for the input. I'm thinking of contacting Western Powders as they make the BH 209 powder.

I've looked at the Woodman Arms gun on the BWB website. A friends son got a tour of the factory by Mark Woodman himself (my friends son is involved with BWB) recently and Mark built one for him while he watched. He likes the gun, it carries well he says but its only 2" shorter than his TC Triumph. He wasn't complaining about it, just pointing out a fact.

Thanks again and I'll check back and update if I decide to get out the hacksaw and order a crowning pilot! (I have a crowning tool already.)
A lot of guys cut all the QLA off a TC barrel and had great results especially when using a conical. Only issue I can think of would be having to reinstall the front sight if you use open sights.

Just sent an email to Hodgdon Powders. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

I have coned my traditional Plains Rifle - much different from crowning, the cone is over several inches and allows me to actually just thumb my patch and ball into the barrel, and run it home with the rammer - no short starter required. No impact on accuracy. Planning to cone my .62, and the .40 I have on the bench now. Very nice for loading, accuracy is unaffected (I think mine might have even improved a bit).

Reactions: Hem
I have a Katahdin muzzleloader barrel for my T/C Encore, its 20". If you already have an Encore receiver it might be a good option for you, otherwise I'm pretty sure a good smith could shorten what you have already. My main reason for going with the Katahdin was seeing minimal velocity loss, plus here in NV we are limited to iron sights only, so I figured at the distances I'd be shooting at, the velocity difference wouldn't be much of a handicap. Plus I love compact rifles.

Edit: I looked at this thread when I was shopping, looks like a pretty reasonable reduction in FPS. I haven't chrono'd my T/C, but then again I don't have another ML to compare it to.

Last edited:
I have a Katahdin muzzleloader barrel for my T/C Encore, its 20". If you already have an Encore receiver it might be a good option for you, otherwise I'm pretty sure a good smith could shorten what you have already. My main reason for going with the Katahdin was seeing minimal velocity loss, plus here in NV we are limited to iron sights only, so I figured at the distances I'd be shooting at, the velocity difference wouldn't be much of a handicap. Plus I love compact rifles.

Edit: I looked at this thread when I was shopping, looks like a pretty reasonable reduction in FPS. I haven't chrono'd my T/C, but then again I don't have another ML to compare it to.

Thanks for the link. I may dig out my POS Chrony & check my current load - 100 volume equivalent of BH 209 (74 grains weighed) and see what velocity I’m getting with the Federal Bor Lock bullets.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back