Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Short Rifles, Short Range Hunts, Long Heavy Bullets

Mustangs Rule

I get so tired of hearing hunters brag about shooting big game at super long range. Reminds me of the joke about an American client bragging to his African PH how he could shoot every in site from 500 to 600 yards.

The PH listens then says “That is very impressive! “But, how well do you shoot at 5 or 6 feet!”

So let’s hear your stories about hunts that were up close and personal, using firearms and exampling genuine hunting and stalking abilities not just shooting skills.

I’ll begin with this one growing up in New England on my family’s dairy farm.

After a big deep snow the whitetail deer used to yard up under the oak trees and dig for acorns. The forest was mixed and scattered around were young cedars. I made up both a long skirt and shawl out of cedar boughs. I looked like a Christmas Tree

Then on traditional ash and leather snowshoes I began a slow walk through the forest, stopping and looking and listening more than moving. Getting more careful as I approached the large oak trees from down wind when I saw deer.

I was carrying a Marlin 366 carbine in 35 Remington.

The closer I got, I only took a quiet step when all their heads were down in the snow looking for acorns. Patience, more patience then bang!

Shot the bull on my back at about 30 yards while we were both trying to slip through a Yew wood Jungle.

The bison in my avatar was shot at 8 yards. I spotted him at 250ish, snuck thru some willows to get closer as he walked towards me, he didnt follow trail that would of put him at 40 yards. He veered off right towards me hiding behind a stump and finally at 8 yards had to shot, 300 grain partitions out of 375h&h started flying!

Shot a 6pt bull elk once with my bow full frontal, didnt even really need to aim as all 5 pins were on his chest perfect cause he was so close. He bugled and i thought my hat was going to blow off from him... When i released i purposly feel backwards behind the tree i was next to cause if the bull had lunged forward he would of hit me, that was pretty close.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back