Shopping for a Rifle

Munchiezzz

Backstory
I am paralyzed and wheelchair bound. My strength is limited and could use a little guidance.

I am looking for a hunting rifle that has low recoil and can still be powerful enough to drop a deer and possibly an elk. If it is also lightweight thats a huge plus. I have done a little research and found some possibilities. If anyone has experience with any of these please let me know good/bad. Also some that ive found are just prefered rounds to use, what would be a good gun to use with that round that fits what im looking for. I think im leaning toward a 25-06 or one of the 6.5. But im looking forward to the input i get here. Thanks everyone.

.243 Winchester
6.5-284 Norma
7mm-08 Remington
6.5 Creedmoor
.240 Weatherby Magnum
.25-06 Remington
.260 Remington
Savage Arms 16/116 6.5X284 Norma Trophy Hunter XP 4-Round 24" Bolt Action Rifle

What range will your shots be? If within 200 yards, a Howa Mini-Action 6.5 Grendel would be a good choice.

Any magnum is gonna kick. Of all that you listed i think the best cartridge for your needs may be 7mm-08. Recoil is manageable and you could take elk without being under gunned. The 25-06 will kick you Since it is just a necked down 30-06. To give you a comparison, my .270 win is a necked down 30-06 and generates 17 ftlbs of recoil. Where the 7mm-08 with similar load has approx. 12ftlbs of recoil. A big difference!

Last edited:
I’d stick with the short action rounds..

The 260 Remington and 6.5 creed are virtually identical (oh that’ll start it’s own tyraid)

The 7-08 will likely have the greatest recoil. Any one of those three would work for deer or elk.

My preference would be a .260 Remington.

Will you have someone help you get the rifle up? If so, a std weight rifle to absorb recoil more than a light weight rifle. I'd go a little bigger caliber than a 25-06, but that wouldn't be a bad choice either. Recoil of a 7-08, 25-06, 260, 308, et al are similar.

308 ( low recoiled, easy to find ammo) , 6.5cm (easy ammo) , 260, 6.5-284 , 7-08
will all toast a deer or elk when lung punched from 0-300 yards
I have a buddy with a son who has CP and has a hunting wheel chair that is rigged with a rifle rack , the savage apex has removable pieces to help fit any hunter and has some decent accuracy and comes in most caliber ( even 6.5-284) , .270 is a zapper about = /+ to 6.5 and 308 , imo A 25-06 ,240 are pushing minimum for elk but NP deer , hogs, pronghorn
best o luck
Texas is very handicapped friendly FWIW

308 ( low recoiled, easy to find ammo) , 6.5cm (easy ammo) , 260, 6.5-284 , 7-08
will all toast a deer or elk when lung punched from 0-300 yards
I have a buddy with a son who has CP and has a hunting wheel chair that is rigged with a rifle rack , the savage apex has removable pieces to help fit any hunter and has some decent accuracy and comes in most caliber ( even 6.5-284) , .270 is a zapper about = /+ to 6.5 and 308 , imo A 25-06 ,240 are pushing minimum for elk but NP deer , hogs, pronghorn
best o luck
Texas is very handicapped friendly FWIW
ive checked out a few new rides. i live in the desert so sand is my kryptonite haha

STSShadow.jpg

another resource i found........

Recoil: 9 foot-pounds (compared to .270 Win at 17 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Mossberg Patriot, Savage Axis, Winchester Model 70, Browning BLR

.350 Ledgend
Recoil: 8 foot-pounds (compared to .308 Win at 17 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Winchester XPR, CMMG Resolute, Henry Single Shot, CVA Cascade, Ruger American Ranch

7mm-08
Recoil: 12 foot-pounds (compared to 7mm Rem Mag at 20.5 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Browning X-Bolt, Ruger American, Savage 110 High Country, Tikka T3x, Remington 700

.25-06
Recoil: 11.5 foot-pounds (compared to .30-06 Spfld at 20 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Ruger No. 1, Mossberg Patriot, Savage Axis II, Weatherby Vanguard, Browning BAR

6.5 Credmore
Recoil: 12.5 foot-pounds (compared to .300 Win Mag at 25.5 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Henry Long Ranger, Savage Impulse Big Game, CVA Scout, Bergara B-14

.30-30 Win
Recoil: 10 foot-pounds (compared to .45-70 Gov’t at 38 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Henry Side Gate Lever Action, Winchester Model 94, Marlin Model 336, Henry Single Shot

7mm08 or 6.5 Creed on what you listed. My write in candidate would be 270.
You know what you want but if I was in a chair I would think I would be less worried about rifle weight. A bit more rifle weight might give you a more latitude on chambering relative to recoil. But I never hunted from a chair like you do so maybe you have a reason for lighter weight being a plus.

For deer with the possibility of elk and needing low recoil I don’t see a much better option than the 7-08. The only issue with that cartridge is it’s a little more limited in factory ammunition but it can be found most of the time.

another resource i found........

Recoil: 9 foot-pounds (compared to .270 Win at 17 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Mossberg Patriot, Savage Axis, Winchester Model 70, Browning BLR

.350 Ledgend
Recoil: 8 foot-pounds (compared to .308 Win at 17 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Winchester XPR, CMMG Resolute, Henry Single Shot, CVA Cascade, Ruger American Ranch

7mm-08
Recoil: 12 foot-pounds (compared to 7mm Rem Mag at 20.5 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Browning X-Bolt, Ruger American, Savage 110 High Country, Tikka T3x, Remington 700

.25-06
Recoil: 11.5 foot-pounds (compared to .30-06 Spfld at 20 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Ruger No. 1, Mossberg Patriot, Savage Axis II, Weatherby Vanguard, Browning BAR

6.5 Credmore
Recoil: 12.5 foot-pounds (compared to .300 Win Mag at 25.5 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Henry Long Ranger, Savage Impulse Big Game, CVA Scout, Bergara B-14

.30-30 Win
Recoil: 10 foot-pounds (compared to .45-70 Gov’t at 38 foot-pounds)
Rifle Selections: Henry Side Gate Lever Action, Winchester Model 94, Marlin Model 336, Henry Single Shot
Lump 350 legend & 30-30 in same group, sub 200 yards range
both are 2200-2300 FPS
my vote is still 6.5 , 270, 7mm , 308
if it will smoke a elk! Deer no problem

Last edited:
If elk is a possibility in the future, then my recommendation is no Bueno, if not I bought my son a 6mm Creedmoor (Ruger). I have been very pleased with this rifle, mild recoil and accurate Everything from antelope, deer and coyotes. Factory ammo is becoming very available. I am going to buy myself one.

Get a rifle with a brake on it. It reduces the recoil tremendously. I know some people will say it makes it to loud. A brake doesn't make it any louder it's just redirecting the noise from straight away to multiple directions. That's what makes a brake work.

There's many options out there that are threaded for a brake. Since you plan to use it for deer and elk I would recommend 6.5 caliber and larger. With this ammo shortage the 308 would be the first one I would look at. Many different types available right now. My parents own a gun store and I can get on any distributor website right now and get about any 308 ammo you want. The only rifle ammo available is 223, different Weatherbys, and African safari type. There's nothing else available.

i live about 1 hour outside vegas. im gonna see if any gun store/ranges have any of these i can try out. im really having a liking to the 6.5 creed so far.

Tikka in 6.5 cm is a pussycat. Cheap, available ammo, can kill elk, and accurate. The online haters are just jealous.
The 7-08 would be great for you as well
Rifle weight will make a difference
I have an ultra lite 6.5 and a Tikka. There is a recoil difference between the two.
Also, lots of great people on HT who might be willing to help when you hit the field. Good luck and hopefully see some smiling photos down the road.

Tikka in 6.5 cm is a pussycat. Cheap, available ammo, can kill elk, and accurate. The online haters are just jealous.
The 7-08 would be great for you as well
Rifle weight will make a difference
I have an ultra lite 6.5 and a Tikka. There is a recoil difference between the two.
Also, lots of great people on HT who might be willing to help when you hit the field. Good luck and hopefully see some smiling photos down the road.
I like 6.5 caliber, had a 264 WM , 140gr nosler partitio = lights out
i guided a high school girl and her dad , she was deadly to 350 meters
don’t see why haters rag on a 6.5cm ? 120gr barnes ttsx @ 2900

Back