Caribou Gear

Shipping Guns?

cedahm

I've got a minor travel dilemma. I have booked a turkey hunt in Vermont/New Hampshire the first weekend in May. Originally, had kept all work travel off that week so was a straightforward flight from DEN.

Now - I have a new (large) client that is requiring me to be in NYC the beginning of that week. So - if I want to bring my shotgun, I need to leave it in my hotel unattended for a couple of days while working. Then figure out a way to tote it with me to a client production facility in NJ for the day before I fly up to VT without causing alarm (ntm tote it on the train or cab into Manhattan - which would actually be really d**n entertaining, if a bit uncomfortable).

All of that sounds like too much of a PITA, so my options are to borrow a shotgun from the outfitter or ship my favorite turkey gun to a dealer in the area.

Couple questions for folks that have shipped firearms before:

I assume I would need to pick it up personally? (I.e. That they would not transfer possession to the outfitter if he picked it up), in which case I'd be borrowing a gun the first morning anyway since I arrive very late the night before.

I've never shipped a gun myself, so wondering what the process would be? I assume any FFL dealer-to-FFL dealer?

Either way, I'm OK using one of his shotguns, but I'd much rather have mine.

You can ship your gun to yourself at the destination you will arrive at. Address it to yourself, notify the outfitter it is coming and instruct him to keep it safe and to not let anyone open it. No FFL required unless state law where you are going prohibits it (not sure about the laws in those states). You can ship it through USPS , I would ship it priority and insured.

Good luck on your hunt,

Fin

Last edited:
Seems cheaper to buy a shotgun in NH then sell it right away on Armslist. To my knowledge, this wouldn't be a problem in NH where laws are very liberal.

The shipping all over sounds like a pain right in the arse. If the outfitter has shotguns you can use, bring your favorite choke tube and shoot a couple and see how they pattern and cut your losses.

Thanks all for the responses. I had no idea I could ship it to myself. With FDX, it's not horribly expensive either.

But - as John mentions - still a pain the behind. Hadn't thought of just bringing my favorite turkey tube - that's the ticket right there. Hopefully, I'll have enough 'shipping' drama bringing back frozen meat/fan/beard in my luggage.

I'm not used to the whole outfitter thing in general, so that part was throwing me off.

I'd still like to have seen the looks I would have gotten toting my hard gun case on the subway into Manhattan :)

NJ doesn't believe in the 2nd amendment. You cant possess a gun without a Firearm I.D. card except if you are actually going to and from hunting or a range. Stopping for gas,coffee or ammo is a no no. You can't make this $hit up

Thanks all for the responses. I had no idea I could ship it to myself. With FDX, it's not horribly expensive either.

But - as John mentions - still a pain the behind. Hadn't thought of just bringing my favorite turkey tube - that's the ticket right there. Hopefully, I'll have enough 'shipping' drama bringing back frozen meat/fan/beard in my luggage.

I'm not used to the whole outfitter thing in general, so that part was throwing me off.

I'd still like to have seen the looks I would have gotten toting my hard gun case on the subway into Manhattan :)

That would be the case IF they have a gun it will fit since there are many thread variations out there depending on what gun you have to put it in.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back