Yeti GOBOX Collection

Shank Pasatalaya

JTHOMP

I like to save shanks but also like to hold on to them for too long. We butchered a steer last year and I still haven’t gotten around to eating these caveman pieces of meat yet. Finally decided to take advantage of working from the house and cook one yesterday. A little bit of an experiment for me. Very simple to do and taste came out great. Will do it again with pig and deer shanks.

Season the meat to your preference and brown with a little oil. Once good and brown add stock and put in the oven. I set the temp at 370 but I’m sure there’s a wide acceptable range. Every hour or so I turned the meat over.
D72E3F8B-DA55-4CAE-8BBA-DF7569A301D1.jpeg

Once the meat was fork tender after about 4 hours, I was left with a lot of liquids. So I decided to try adding noodles to soak up the liquid and extend the meat. Added noodles and put the pot back in the over for about 30 minutes. The noodles were mostly done but could cook a little longer so I added another couple cups of water and back in the over for a little longer.

Best idea I’ve had in a long time. All the broken done goodness from the shank gives the noodles a creamy rich taste and texture.
Next time closer towards the end I want to add smoked sausage, tomatoes, and maybe a couple other things to add some flavor.
69F16C96-8DAB-4ED0-BD7B-8570AFEF4913.jpeg

Looks great! I keep all the shanks from my game but never thought to try one from a steer. Gonna have to try this next time I butcher might smoke first before braising.

Somking prior to cooking sounds like a good idea for next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back