Caribou Gear

Setting Treestands

I like to setup my treestand and leave it up for so long that other people take it down for me.

Be careful Jore07, treestands kill. Those bastards.

being from the south, i grew up in treestands. i usually hang mine about 20' high, but it depends on the woods. sometimes you have to get higher or lower to see due to the trees and vegetation. also keep in mind ridges and wind. if your stand is 20' high, it doesnt do much good if your eye level with the top of the ridge 100 yards away due to windage. also, i prefer the ladder sticks myself. one tip i recommend is hanging your stand lower than the top step so you can step down onto your stand. i use ol man roost lock ons and they are very comfortable and light weight. hope that helps

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys... I really appreciate it a lot. I'll have to try all these in a tree out at my folks house so I can get the hang of hanging the stand and shooting out of it. As of heard shooting at such an angle is a bit different than flat shots.

Make sure your stand is comfortable or you won't want to sit in it all day. I have been in a lot of different tree stands, from sitting on a limb, built in the tree(not on public land), homemade, to factory made. I use ladder stands and climbers now. The most comfortable ones I have are the Summitt climbers. You need a straight tree for a climber is the only drawback. Around here with the ladder stands the deer see the ladder and look up, so you have to set it up before the season so they get used to it or hide the ladder. You need at least two people to set up the ladder stands, we find it easiest to throw a rope over a limb and pull it up. The harness that comes with them works well for me. I have a Fall Guy device I use with the ladder stands, it should work well with strap on stands too. You need to practice distance estimation and shooting at different ranges out of you stands. I always use a screw-in bow hanger. A pee bottle might be nice to have also. Ohh, one more thing, don't fall asleep in the tree!:eek:

I hang mine everywhere from 15 to 30 feet depending on the canopy of the tree. The only advice I would offer if you are using screw in steps, is don't make the mistake I did the first time. Don't climb up the tree on the side you want to hang the stand. Once you get to where you want it, you have to hang it over your head, and then it is real hard to get into. My preference is to climb up 90 degrees to where you want to hang. A good climbing harness is a must. One with a waist strap, so that you can lean back against it while you are hanging, and have both hands free to work. You also can't have too much rope with you to yard gear and such up with you. Also like NC said, a pee bottle, a big enough one. Nothing worse that a pee bottle too small.

I hunted prairie dogs near Wood. I don't recall seeing any trees to speak of. Saw several pronghorns. Could be good hunting. Good luck.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back