Yeti GOBOX Collection

Seasons as good as over.

powderburn

Well it was the last day of the regular rifle season and I spent the day with my oldest 2 kids [ Eagle-eye and Eminator ]. The object of the day was to get Eminator her first Mulie buck. With the yongest 2 kids both succesful and the deep freeze stocked it was time to put a hurt on a decent buck for my favorite daughter. I took them to the area I video'd the big bucks last year on land the owner told me I could hunt anytime. I tried to get a hold of the land owner Friday night but there was no answer. Saturday morning at first light found us sitting in the truck at the end of the drive to his farm house. There is a well treed ridge behind his house and we watched a couple dozen deer moving around with several nice bucks showing them selves. At 8:30 I finally called him to find out he was gone for the week-end. I didn't feel right about hunting with out him home so we headed for a river bottom 15 miles away.
I had Eminator set up several times while Brett put some pushes in the river bottom. The whitetail came by at warp 6, with the mulies doing the typical run 100 yrds and stop, look back, feed, run 100yrds. There were only spikers,fork horns, 2x3s and 3x3s but nothing great as far as what I had in mind for her.
We headed up to the stubble fields and found about a 160 4x4 with several smaller bucks and 16 does bedded in the middle of a fairly flat field. The wind had picked up to gail force but my son and I figured we could get her within 200 yrds with a good deal of crawling. 45 minutes later we've covered the distance and we are peeking over a very little rise with Brett laying on the upwind side making as much of a wind break out of himself as he could and me laying on the down wind side getting set for a back up shot. As Jehna was scoping out the buck and I'm already on him she asks me if its much bigger than the boys bucks. I tell her it's a bigger brother to the other bucks and she should really think about getting some lead out soon. What she said next floored me. She said she didn't want to steel her little brothers thunder by taking a bigger buck then them and spoil their first year. Jehna then said if we wanted the buck we could go ahead and shoot it she was fine with not getting one this year.
The tear in my eye had to be from all the dirt blowing around us. We just stood up and watched them bounce away. We had one heck of a succesful year in more ways than 1 and hope everyone else has enjoyed themselves also.

On our way back to town I called a guy that was drawn in the area and told him where the buck was headed when we last saw it. He headed out and just as the storm blew in he found it. He called me on the way back to town to open the shop up so he could hang it to skin it. This is the one Jehna passed on. I was wrong on the 160 mark it roughed out at 155.
marksbuck05.jpg

Back