PEAX Equipment

scouting...

californiacoyotes

has anyone ever tried to scout with an airplane? i am taking my first flight lesson this weekend and was wondering how practical it would be to fly around an area looking for game.

I know a few that do it, I would not advise it on your first lesson!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

bcat, you being an outfitter, do you think it is effective or more of a waste of time? after i posted this i talked to a guy that flies a bit an he wasn't sure that i'd see much flying around. he also said something about "lazy kids these days..."! LOL

Coyote-I dont know about California and flying. I have flown in Wyoming several times and it takes a real eye to see much from a plane, not to mention a good pilot to keep ya out of a crash. Ya cant fly and shoot the same day in any state that I know of. I have flown counting elk, looking for bighorn sheep, and looking for cattle. It is productive once ya get the eye for it, but ya got to be careful. Downdrafts here can kill ya and fast!!! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Its been close to 10 yrs now that a friend of mine (who also is the pilot for SAR) took an outfitter out looking for a Desent Moose for a client the were flyin Low and slow when the scene a bull come out of the brush so they circled to get a better Look the outfitter wanted to film it so as they came back up the draw about 100yrds from the Moose he asked if he could get eyeball to eyeball view well thats where all Hell broke loose the front tire of the plane clipped a bush and flopped over on its top....Both the pilot and the outfitter walked away It took 12 guys 3days to tear the plane apart and pack it out and 15k to put it back together
He dont scout for game unless its at High altitude..At least 50feet..LOL

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

When Beaver where worth a dollar an inch we would fly to lokate live beaver houses,And always found lots more than weeks of walking.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

Been flying quite a bit with a friend, you will be very busy up there. 2 years ago he gave me a certficate for flying lessons, on a clear day after 45 min. he asked me if I knew were I was without looking down, I rely didn't have any idea. He said I was above my house.

When you have about 4-500 hours in your log, then you can probly scout at the same time.

John

------------------
"When a man lies he murders some part of the world"

Cliff Burton

Back