Scouting tactics for moose - Scents and Game Cameras

Watts

I am trying to learn all I can about moose as I have never hunted them, but will try my hand at it in October.

I am open to any info you are willing to share.

For this thread, my main question is this: Once I find some likely scouting locations, would it be effective to place scent rags in those areas with a game camera pointed at them so i can easily and quickly determine presence of moose in the area? I know i could just look at t tracks, but it seems the cameras would tell me the size and age of the moose.

we will be doing a fly-in hunt, so limited on weight, and i don't know if the cameras are worth it.

thanks!

Compared to white tailed deer, moose have a huge range..especially a rutting bull in search of a cow.
A good pair of binoculars and a spotting scope would likely be more useful.

I don't think a game camera would help much from that perspective, however it might be neat to see a wolf, wolverine, griz
or other critter on the game camera.

No one I know uses moose urine in Alaska...once again because their range is so large....
typically we are glassing miles and miles from a ridgetop or calling and waiting all day if hunting a wetland area in the bottoms.

It may also be illegal in Alaska to prevent chronic wasting disease (deer and elk urine are illegal)
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=563

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back