Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

School me on welders

Like 80% of the time for me
My son did some welding in his shop class this year, and now he wants a welder. I wouldn’t mind having one either, ha!

It would just be for light vehicle / garage / home projects.

Would a 110, gassless, wire-fed system work for us? What can this setup not do? What’s a typical price point? Can these setups incorporate a plasma cutter?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Never knew that replying to multiple posts let you quote multiple discussions.

110-volt flux core welding would be almost worthless for anything. Even if the welder has the output capability you really can't even weld 1/8" plate due to input voltage limitations. Bare minimum settings for 1/8" would be 140 amps at 14 volts which is 1,960 Watts. With your 110 volt input that leaves you needing almost 18 amps. It is very unlikely that you have any more than 20 amps to any line in your garage.
This. For 1/4" of penetration I would have to preheat with a touch then weld.
A small machine can be a lot harder for a novice to get good results.
For me a small 220 with 75/ 25 gas would be my minimum unless it was given to me. Make sure to educate yourself on protection and safety!

Ok so I’m getting a bunch of good info here. I am going to assume that I will be limited by the wiring in my garage. I know just enough about electrical systems to hurt myself so bear with me…

My garage was built in ‘95, so I assume that 20A would be max capacity? I can just go look at the panel right?

At this point I don’t think it would be worth it to get a machine that would require me to add a 220V circuit. That pretty much limits me to the flux-core type of machine unless I go with a stick welder correct?

I hate to buy twice, but at this point I just can’t see a more expensive initial machine, wiring upgrades and all that unless it turns out we are going past the hobbyist stage.

Someone mentioned a good unit off the bat goes a hell of a long way towards improved learning curve within the welding world. Not those words bur you get the idea.

Beyond the importance of quality shielding, you have duty cycle, wire thickness, capable steel thickness, and of course, prep for the weld.

Outside of prep, all the other factors are based on the welder you purchase.
Yes, cheap is out there. You get what you pay for. It's 100% truth with welders.

Same token, I'd dig a porche when edging curvy roads. I don't own a porche nor plan to. I don't own a Yugo either...

Best to you and your decision.

BTW, Don't forget a can of arc start. ;)

I got myself a Hobart 125 last October. Price points vs what the 140 offered, couldn’t justify the bigger machine.

Hobart is the home hobbyist line of Lincoln machines. Lincoln being aimed more at industrial or commercial applications.

8F21EA08-082F-4E4A-AEF2-D37E051DDFDB.jpeg

The “accessories “ will likely double the cost of the machine. Helmets, gloves, magnets etc. jeez, just a piece of steel to make a reasonable bench surface cost me almost $160.

I got it for making those little projects for stuff it’s not worth bothering a weld shop over.

This machine can still be setup for gas shield or flux core welding. Or both if you really wanted to. Stick has its place as well. There’s a ton of stuff to learn about welding. Flux may be as good a place for him to start.

If this is an interest for him, check out the James F Lincoln foundation. Lots of good resources there. Including reading material and really inexpensive project kits to make.

Out of all their books, this is the first one that was recommended to me. I’ve got it. Just haven’t started with it yet. Been gone since it came. I work in a canvas shelter and it’s now winter in Minnesota.

Plasma cutters are generally a separate machine and will also require a compressed air source.

Last edited:
This guy has some really good pointers for where you’re starting at. I learned about the JFL from his series.

He’s a welding instructor and a certified welder tester. His series have really helped. There’s others that try. This guy does teach. Really good series. This first video is actually kind of hard to follow… but it makes sense as you work your way through the series.

Last edited:
Just make sure you get an inverter type. One more reason is many can work on both 110v and 220v. Going without buying the inverter type is like buying something just as it is going out of style..... These new inverter welders are incredible for the money. I had a non-inverter Lincoln 175 MIG and i sold used and got more$ than I purchased an off name inverter that completely blew the Lincoln away. The gun was better, the weld was better, the amperage was better, the duty cycle was better, the welds were better. I have since bought 2 more machines of even better quality. The one machine is from the same company that makes the Everlast welders. Go to Ebay and type in MIG welder and you will see hundreds of welders pop up. Pick one that is at the top of your budget, but I would look for 2 things given what you are telling me. Can it work on both 110 and 220, and is the consumables the more common type (stay away from panasonic). Oh, and make sure it can take a bottle

Last edited:
At this point I don’t think it would be worth it to get a machine that would require me to add a 220V circuit. That pretty much limits me to the flux-core type of machine unless I go with a stick welder correct?

As mentioned a 220 outlet is just two legs. If you have two open breaker spots in your panel you are most of the way there.

That said I am curious what you decide. I am looking for welder and have similar uses. I will not be welding up heavy plates or farm equipment.

Let us know what you decide.

As mentioned a 220 outlet is just two legs. If you have two open breaker spots in your panel you are most of the way there.
If not.. You can usually find a way to use a piggy back breaker to make room for the dual pole 220. They look like this.
If you decide to do it feel free to ask for help.

I own a fab shop and have run all the brands of machines over the years from Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, ESAB, etc and to be honest the new inverter multiprocess machines are much better machines.

The Weldpro 200 is the best machine I have used for farm/ranch/hobby type welding. 120/240. Mig or stick.

My miller and Lincoln sit in the corner and have not been used due to that Weldpro machine. I had an everlast before that but it has more splatter than the weldpro.

Go with the 240 option as 120 is so limiting. You can likely figure out a way to put in an outlet near your junction box, or some people use dryer outlets for occasional use.

Argon is for welding specialty metals like Aluminum. You do not use Argon for steel. Co2 is cheaper but more splatter. C-25 is more expensive but cleaner.
I use a different blend I think 90/10? and can do pulse spray arc and it has pretty much zero splatter because the wire never touches the puddle. It sounds really weird when welding, pretty cool stuff. Even the pulse mig machines of off brand can get into cheap now.

Shielding-Gas-Selector-Chart.png

One of the little projects I bought my welder for. Material has cost me all of $45 for everything and if I’d go buy that knuckle, it’s $100 each one. I’m making three.

One for a set of 4’ and another for a set of 6’ poles.

Tank traps for dry firing and also for 22 trainer practice for PRS/NRL.

About perfect for this project.

7193C54E-DB4F-42D9-9507-E47FFA8ACA42.jpegB1539494-21DF-48CF-91AE-4F6BCA60999F.jpeg98EFB206-926A-4CE9-B079-8A1D0B28CD7B.jpegAF568743-763E-482F-87E7-9005D4537286.jpeg19858337-A4BD-4F18-A11E-41CBC2AD0EBC.jpeg

Back