Savage Axis in 25-06

Wyoming Sage

Just before the world went crazy last December I thought I had to get another caliber in the gun safe. When this happens I get a cheaper version of something in that caliber I'm looking at. I decided on the 25-06 over the 22-250. And went to Wally world and ordered one. It seem to be a real good shooter and the recoil is acceptable even with the synthetic stock on it. I put a older Burris 3x9 I had just sitting for a few years on it. I had it shooting in a 3" circle at 275 yards like I do most my big game rifles. I plan to shoot a lot of different animals as I also reload, so when I run across like a Ruger, Weatherby, etc. or other semi-high dollar rifle (yes to my skinflint butt this is semi-high dollar) in 3 or 4 years, I will pick it up and sell this Savage.
I finally learned many years ago that I didn't need to buy a $1000.00 to $2000.00 rifle in some caliber I thought I wanted and then try to get rid of it if I didn't like it.

I worked with a guy this weekend that just picked up an Axis 25'06 at wally world. Its a pretty good shooter I was surprised, still think I like the 111 enough better for the extra few bucks but it wasn't a bad gun. We ended up spending a lunch break talking about budget bolt guns and there are a lot of good ones out there. The Mossberg and the new plastic Remington were the only ones we could think of that we hadn't put rounds through but the American, XL7, Axis, 111, Stevens and Vanguard all seem to be worth as much or more than their reduced price tags.

How is the trigger. I heard the axis doesn't have the accutrigger

AS for the 25.06 round,I have a Remington Sendero in this caliber which I will never sell.Fantastic antelope/deer caliber,I have smoked a bunch of animals from 20 yds. to 450 yds.Love this particular rifle with the heavy barrel,but it isn't something I would pack for elk,mostly due to the weight.If your weapon shoots well,you have a good caliber for medium size critters.

No, the Axis rifles don't have the accutrigger. I don't mind the stiffer trigger, though, because most of my life has been spent shooting M16's, M4's, and Mossberg shotguns...all of which have sloppy, stiff triggers. I think the trigger issue is a small trade off for a value priced rifle with excellent accuracy.

I cut just enough coils off of the trigger return spring so the free length just fits into its slot under the trigger. In other words, it puts no preload on the trigger at static (non-pulled) position. Lightened it up quite a bit.

Emrah

Thanks guys, I am using 117 gr SP I got from Brassman before last December and am using IMR 4350 if I remember 47.5 gr to start with, as it is a good all round powder I use in all my 30 caliber reloads. I also am reloading 75 gr Vmax next I got a good deal on them at a garage sale and am looking for a different powder. I think I may have lost the gun though.
I took the wife out to make sure we had her 7mm mag sighted before huntin season and also took a few extra guns along just to plink with. Well she asked to shoot the "new one". It seemed just like when she shot my now ex Mini 14, I couldn't hardly get my turn to shoot. She was smacking 12" rocks on the hillside out to 350 yards, I was told she liked it and we would not be selling it or trading it off and when I decided to get another rifle in that caliber she got the Axis. Until then she would just barrow it and when she decided on another bullet size she was buying all the stuff to reload. I have been told she wants to try the 120 gr.....

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back