PEAX Equipment

Savage Arms: Bad Company?

my .02 on savage: sounds like they are in a rough patch so will ship anything out the door and only when someone complains will they send you a product that they should be sending out the door in the first place

after talking to my gunsmith it sounds like a lot of the different companies go through cycles where quality control is really good then different management in same company, or parent company is sold and it all goes down hill.

if you like the ergonomics of the rifle I would have them make it right as I would hope/expect that the returned rifle would be gone over by one of their better line workers vs the newest line worker who helped to assemble your current rifle... but if you don't like the fit/finish/ergonomics it's a good way to ditch that rifle and try something else

my .02 on savage: sounds like they are in a rough patch so will ship anything out the door and only when someone complains will they send you a product that they should be sending out the door in the first place

after talking to my gunsmith it sounds like a lot of the different companies go through cycles where quality control is really good then different management in same company, or parent company is sold and it all goes down hill.

if you like the ergonomics of the rifle I would have them make it right as I would hope/expect that the returned rifle would be gone over by one of their better line workers vs the newest line worker who helped to assemble your current rifle... but if you don't like the fit/finish/ergonomics it's a good way to ditch that rifle and try something else

What exactly do you base this upon? Certainly not only this thread. One guy who is having an ejection issue in a new gun does not make for a company "shipping anything out the door".

I have had this exact problem with ejection that was corrected by cleaning the extractor. Not a big deal.

i'm basing this upon comments from my gunsmith so commenting on the savage brand in general: at least a couple years ago he said the fit & finish from factory wasn't satisfactory so that is why i didn't buy a savage when i was in the market

as i said later it isn't just savage that has gone through that stage of having an issue, so maybe now it's just a fluke but seeing as a few others responded that they had similar experiences or troubles getting through to someone at savage it sounds like the company may not be at the top of the game at the current time

i'm basing this upon comments from my gunsmith so commenting on the savage brand in general: at least a couple years ago he said the fit & finish from factory wasn't satisfactory so that is why i didn't buy a savage when i was in the market

as i said later it isn't just savage that has gone through that stage of having an issue, so maybe now it's just a fluke but seeing as a few others responded that they had similar experiences or troubles getting through to someone at savage it sounds like the company may not be at the top of the game at the current time

Fair enough. Anyone with a basic understanding of hunting rifles knows Savage isn't Sako. What they are is a company that sells an accurate, affordable rifle. I have had a pile of them, most bought used, and had very few problems. An extractor issue after hundreds of rounds, and magazine issues when swapping stocks. That said, I don't expect them to be something they are not. Pretty? No. Smooth? No. Tactical workhorse? No. Put a bullet where I want it? Sure enough.

Wonder how the original poster made out when he called Savage?

Just to be clear, one person in this thread said not to fill out a electronic form for warranty/repair issues, and one person thought their repair took too long without being specific. Everyone else said that their issue was taken care of promptly.

Do you believe that Savage doesn't have a fleet of lawyers, or that you are going to dazzle them with something they have never seen before? If I were you I would hold off on going ugly early, and let them make it right.

If you go the legal route, they are probably only going to give you the treatment they are legally obligated to give you; which you may find is not much.

There's a lot I won't bother to explain because it's long, complicated, and boring. But here's the thing: between the rifle and scope, firearms dealer fees, and including taxes, I've spent close to $1,700 on this rig. I refuse to tolerate being sent a shoddy product that's unreliable and potentially dangerous. And legally speaking, this isn't complicated stuff. It's meat and potatoes UCC statutes combined with the procedural advantages of jurisdiction and venue due to the contract being entered into in the State of California.

I am now without the use of rifle I paid for. Savage can either repair it or replace it in a timely manner, or I will exercise the rights available to me. I'm not a fanboy, nor am I a sucker who will wait patiently for months while they eventually get to doing what should have been done right in the first place. This is a problem not unknown to Savage, and the stories regarding their service is mixed. Some have had good experiences, but there are too many negative reviews to ignore and just hope that I get lucky.

And in my experience, sometimes playing nice does work; sometimes it gets you put on the back burner because they know you won't complain. Thus far, after several calls yesterday and this morning, getting nothing but a busy signal, I have to say my faith in this company isn't very high.

Savage must have the reasonable opportunity to repair or replace the goods they manufacture. And they will get that opportunity. If they do not perform within the standards set by California's codification of the UCC, then they've breached the contract and I'm entitled to remedy. In the meantime I will make it clear to Savage that I have reasonable expectations that they perform and what my rights are should they fail to do so. And frankly, if everyone knew their rights, these kinds of problems wouldn't be so frequent.

There's a lot I won't bother to explain because it's long, complicated, and boring. But here's the thing: between the rifle and scope, firearms dealer fees, and including taxes, I've spent close to $1,700 on this rig. I refuse to tolerate being sent a shoddy product that's unreliable and potentially dangerous. And legally speaking, this isn't complicated stuff. It's meat and potatoes UCC statutes combined with the procedural advantages of jurisdiction and venue due to the contract being entered into in the State of California.

I am now without the use of rifle I paid for. Savage can either repair it or replace it in a timely manner, or I will exercise the rights available to me. I'm not a fanboy, nor am I a sucker who will wait patiently for months while they eventually get to doing what should have been done right in the first place. This is a problem not unknown to Savage, and the stories regarding their service is mixed. Some have had good experiences, but there are too many negative reviews to ignore and just hope that I get lucky.

And in my experience, sometimes playing nice does work; sometimes it gets you put on the back burner because they know you won't complain. Thus far, after several calls yesterday and this morning, getting nothing but a busy signal, I have to say my faith in this company isn't very high.

Savage must have the reasonable opportunity to repair or replace the goods they manufacture. And they will get that opportunity. If they do not perform within the standards set by California's codification of the UCC, then they've breached the contract and I'm entitled to remedy. In the meantime I will make it clear to Savage that I have reasonable expectations that they perform and what my rights are should they fail to do so. And frankly, if everyone knew their rights, these kinds of problems wouldn't be so frequent.

I hope they square you away.

Dang I was hoping they'd at least answer the dang phone. I really hate having submit electronic warranty stuff because you never know when or who will respond. My advice is still to be cordial up front and then explain to them the legal stuff if you can't get anywhere. I'm generally afraid to unleash the fury until I've had a chance to talk to at least 1 person...unless of course you're working with Dish or DirectTV then you start out agressive ;)

The unknown is how long of a turnaround Savage has on their repairs if you have to send it in and that is probably when you need to press for a specific turn around upon receipt of the rifle at the factory.

Savage said on their Facebook page that they were closed for the day due to weather. So that's likely why there's no answer today.

(snip....)

I would hope you make your name public, so that other companies can have the opportunity to decline to do business with you. You sound like a bit of a problem customer that most companies would appreciate the warning and the opportunity to not do business with you.

You come on a message board and start a thread implying Savage is a "Bad Company", and then say you haven't actually given them an opportunity.

And, you try and claim some sort of damages of "close to $1700 on this rig", when the scope, fees, taxes are none of Savage's.

Lighten up, grow up, learn how to get along with the world and you will be better off.

Curious to what the end result will be, I own several Savage rifles and have never had an issue. Give the company the benefit of the doubt, I highly doubt they would send a lemon out the door with hope that the customer would be ok with it. With every product they create and sell being a representative of their company, I can only imagine they'll handle it with wanting you to have their best in mind. Keep us posted.

I've owned 7 Savage rifles, and still own 4 of them, with zero issues. Problems happen, but they aren't common, and I don't think it's fair to Savage Arms, or the folks who work there, or to anyone in the market for a firearm for that matter to blast them on the Internet without giving them a chance.

Like I asked yesterday, did you adequately clean the rifle?

You took it to a gunsmith for a simple scope installation. You also said that at first you were having trouble feeding from the magazine. This turned out to be operator error from not having the magazine properly inserted. I'm gonna go out on a limb and ask how experienced you are with firearms?

If the gun ejected fine on your first trip to the range, what changed? Sounds to me like you have too much grease in/on the bolt and the carbon buildup from a range session could be the culprit.

I would hope you make your name public, so that other companies can have the opportunity to decline to do business with you. You sound like a bit of a problem customer that most companies would appreciate the warning and the opportunity to not do business with you.

You come on a message board and start a thread implying Savage is a "Bad Company", and then say you haven't actually given them an opportunity.

And, you try and claim some sort of damages of "close to $1700 on this rig", when the scope, fees, taxes are none of Savage's.

Lighten up, grow up, learn how to get along with the world and you will be better off.

You know, I could understand his stance if they had told him to go pound sand. But without so much as even speaking with someone and he's pulling legal bull... and assuming the worst... sure, if they give you the run around I wouldn't fault you for holding their feet to the fire, but until they do that maybe try chilling out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back