Savage 93 17HMR out of the box review

Redmt

I got my Savage 93 yesterday. My first impression was a cheap poorly assembled rifle. Stock is loose and poorly fit with the barrel rubbing at the 3-4" at the front on one side. The bolt has made a couple of mini notches where it drops down the ramp to lock in. The machine surface of the ramp in the receiver is actually burring up a bit. The stamped gun info and serial # is rough enough to snag on.
BUT!! I sent a couple rounds through it to see how it handled the bullets in the mag and how the ejector worked. Ejector works fine, the mag will need a little rubbing on. My first shot was at a squirrel about 40yds that presented itself coincidentally. I sighted across the scope mounts and down the barrel. It doesn't have sights and I haven't mounted a scope yet. The squirrel exploded with a CCI TNT round. The cosmetics and the bolt fitting will be no big deal really. It shoots and hits what is in front of it. I'll rub on it today and mount the Leupold Freedom 3x9 today. Squirrels beware. I think this will be a very nice shooter.

I got my Savage 93 yesterday. My first impression was a cheap poorly assembled rifle. Stock is loose and poorly fit with the barrel rubbing at the 3-4" at the front on one side. The bolt has made a couple of mini notches where it drops down the ramp to lock in. The machine surface of the ramp in the receiver is actually burring up a bit. The stamped gun info and serial # is rough enough to snag on.
BUT!! I sent a couple rounds through it to see how it handled the bullets in the mag and how the ejector worked. Ejector works fine, the mag will need a little rubbing on. My first shot was at a squirrel about 40yds that presented itself coincidentally. I sighted across the scope mounts and down the barrel. It doesn't have sights and I haven't mounted a scope yet. The squirrel exploded with a CCI TNT round. The cosmetics and the bolt fitting will be no big deal really. It shoots and hits what is in front of it. I'll rub on it today and mount the Leupold Freedom 3x9 today. Squirrels beware. I think this will be a very nice shooter.

I told you to buy the other one, they're built better, but the 93s typically shoot very well, have fun!

I told you to buy the other one, they're built better, but the 93s typically shoot very well, have fun!
It came down to price and availability. Had neither of those been a factor I would have gotten one of the Ruger Hawkeye stainless on Gun Broker. The $1500.00+ price tag wasn't happening.

I have had one with the crappy bushnell package scope for probably 8 years now.....all of your observations I second. It is my prairie dog and small game rifle and I am confident on dogs out to 200m when wind isn't and issue.

Mini update. The stock set offset because of the barrel pin protruding too far out one side. Pin didn't want to move with reasonable amount of whack. I relieved the stock a bit and it fits great. The magazines are a joke. I started comparing others from a buddy's gun a found the pinch point at the case held the casing too low to ramp the bullet. I opened it up a bit and it feeds correctly. Sometimes it wouldn't eject the case as the bullet was coming up to the grabber too late and compressing the fingers rather than grabbing the case. So far so good. They are all easy fixes and adjustments that should have been taken care of at Savage if they ever initiated a quality control inspection.

Back