safety broke?

the nikster

I have a savage model 110 package rifle in 7mm Rem Mag I purchased in the early 90's
I have upgraded the optics and recently bedded the action to increase what was already a good shooter.
During the bedding process I noticed that my safety appears to not be working. with the 'F' exposed I can cycle the bolt and the pin fires when the trigger is pulled. With the 'F' covered, I can no longer cycle the bolt BUT the pin fire if the trigger is pulled. I notice it before I bedded the rifle and it happens with the action and stock separated as well.
Any ideas? is something broken? Am I a retard and not recognizing something...?:confused:

If you are like me, you are probably either overlooking something very simple or it is gonna cost you big bucks to fix!

Safety? Safety? We doon need no stinkin safety.....just don't chamber a round til ready to shoot!!

Edit: nevermind; I read that totally wrong.

Last edited:
There should be 2 screws behind the trigger, the rear most is the safety adjustment screw,

3_parts_list.jpg

it's a trigger block safety that works by limiting trigger movement. Turning it clockwise with the safety engaged it will eventually contact the safety bar and lock the safety. What you need is just short of locking the safety, ie. no trigger movement but the safety will slide to all three positions.

Just make sure you give a very thorough work out before you load the rifle. I guess I should stick a disclaimer in here that any trigger adjustments are at your own risk. If you are not comfortable working on your own trigger, any competent gunsmith should be able to fix it quick.

Hope this helps,
Bob

No problem guys, it's not my picture so I can't take any credit for it, but it's about the best one I've seen as far as explaining things about the Savage 3 screw. Even I can understand it, I'm kinda a Savage nut and I prefer a well tuned 3 screw trigger to the new accu-trigger. Now if I can just get this Striker trigger figured out I might have something to shoot at pronghorns this fall.

Bob

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back