Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

S. Dakota Hunter's Body Found

Sad for the family. Inreach is now a staple for me, it goes everywhere.

I did a call that inreach was used to report a hiker that fell and broke her femur. By the time we got to her she was she was seriously hypotensive and going into shock. We where able to provide treatment, and she was able to be moved about a half mile and was airlifted out. That inreach call saved her life.

Just got in Inreach. What are you that have them doing to protect them when getting dunked is a possibility? Dry bag? They are supposed to be water resistant for 30 minutes at 1 meter.

Roughly submerged in 3' of water for 30 minutes - that is their test protocol, I believe.

Closest I've come is a dunk and brief current flush while attempting to cross a little too fast of a moving stream.
Mine is typically attached to one side of my bino harness.
River plunge and all elements, rain, etc... It works as good as the day I bought it however, I have the delorme version InReach. I don't know if there is a difference.

Just got in Inreach. What are you that have them doing to protect them when getting dunked is a possibility? Dry bag? They are supposed to be water resistant for 30 minutes at 1 meter.
I double up on ziplock bags. If I break that thing it will be because I go ass over teakettle down the side of a hill, not water.

fwiw if I had to do over, I would get the mini. The only time I look at my actual inReach is to check the battery otherwise it’s in an outer pouch on my pack.

Sad deal for that guy and his family.

I double up on ziplock bags. If I break that thing it will be because I go ass over teakettle down the side of a hill, not water.

fwiw if I had to do over, I would get the mini. The only time I look at my actual inReach is to check the battery otherwise it’s in an outer pouch on my pack.

Sad deal for that guy and his family.

I am getting either the mini or the full size. I will be in wilderness for a week where the weather has the potential to isolate you for several days. The full-size can access weather reports though also weighs more. I will decide by August. Do you use the weather function?

I was on a whitewater rafting trip a couple weekends ago. A friend of mine had his Inreach attached to his life jacket. He ended up in the river for about a minute with the Inreach completely submerged the whole time. I was impressed that it seemed to have not taken on any water and was still fully functional.

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4496.jpg

I am getting either the mini or the full size. I will be in wilderness for a week where the weather has the potential to isolate you for several days. The full-size can access weather reports though also weighs more. I will decide by August. Do you use the weather function?
I haven’t had to use the weather function. That’s a good point that I didn’t even consider. Does the mini not have that function?

I was on a whitewater rafting trip a couple weekends ago. A friend of mine had his Inreach attached to his life jacket. He ended up in the river for about a minute with the Inreach completely submerged the whole time. I was impressed that it seemed to have not taken on any water and was still fully functional.

View attachment 143664

View attachment 143665

Awesome dunking!

I have a mini and you can get weather. I use my phone and connect to the in reach. It has a very user friendly app. Regular weather reports costs 1 message, but a premium weather report costs an extra 1$ I believe.

I recently purchased The Zoleo Satellite Communicator. I use onXmap on my phone so I was mainly interested in something that would allow me to keep in touch with my wife when I am out of cell range hunting National Forest in the Appalachian Mountains. The Zoleo is a great value if you don’t need a mapping feature. The cost is only $199 for the device, with three monthly plans to choose from.

It is designed to be used with an App on your smart phone that basically turns your smart phone into a Satellite Communicator for texting only. It has 200 hour battery life, and weighs only 5 oz. If your cell phone battery dies it will still work as a stand alone device allowing you to press a “check in” button and it will text an “I’m OK” message with your gps coordinates to your designated contact. There is also an SOS button that will alert GEOS to send the Calvary if the bear is chewing on you or the mess hits the fan. Its a great option for my needs.
@jbogg Have you used the Zoleo much yet and have you used any others in the past to make a comparison? I have had Spot and now use an older InReach. I like it but don't use the GPS at all as I rely mostly on OnX for that. Interested to hear your opinion on how well it's actually worked in the field.

@jbogg Have you used the Zoleo much yet and have you used any others in the past to make a comparison? I have had Spot and now use an older InReach. I like it but don't use the GPS at all as I rely mostly on OnX for that. Interested to hear your opinion on how well it's actually worked in the field.

Full disclosure, I have not used another satellite communicator before. The Zoleo seems to work well. There has been once or twice that my text message to a contact was delayed, but I believe that was because I was under a very thick canopy of trees. Depending on where I am in the mountains, it can be very difficult to find any sort of sort of open area. For the money, I feel like it’s a pretty good value.

Back