Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rugged Smart Phones

TexAg09

Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting a new smart phone, and I've been doing some research on "rugged" smart phones that have a level of water resistance/proofing, sealed from dust and some extra shock absorption. Right now I'm looking into a BV9500 Plus and a Doogee S90 Pro. Does anyone have any experience with these phones, or have any other recommendations? I appreciate any input and advice.

I have a Samsung S8 active. It's put up with a bit of abuse for the last two years. I don't put it directly in the water, but if I am listening to a podcast in the shower its on the shelf next to me.

I have a Samsung S7 Active. So far, so good! Dropped a few times, tossed around more than it should, etc. Nice camera on it, expandable memory, and a decent battery life. Got it new on eBay a couple of years ago for $300. Check out any newer Active series of Samsung phones, they are supposed to be built tougher.

I have a Samsung S7 Active. So far, so good! Dropped a few times, tossed around more than it should, etc. Nice camera on it, expandable memory, and a decent battery life. Got it new on eBay a couple of years ago for $300. Check out any newer Active series of Samsung phones, they are supposed to be built tougher.
Have the same phone, and it is pretty tough. I did break the camera lense cover somehow. I think something in my pocket broke it? Either way, the camera doesn't work nearly as well now. My kids trash it, I've dropped it a million times, its fallen in a creek once. No cover, and works fine. The worst part is getting water in the charging port, you have to dry it complely with a hair dryer or it won't charge, unless you charge it with induction.

I keep waiting for them to come out with a new Active, but they stopped at the S8, no 9, or 10. There is talk of a new one this year, but they've said that for almost 2 years now. The active used to have the biggest battery of any phone, and when new it would last for days on airplane mode. I'd take it on a 10 day trip, with one small battery to recharge it. I could make it through a trip, using it for pics, some navigation and some reading.

Also, there are some real nice cases out there that have drop tested up to 6.5' and water tested to 6.5'. So maybe put money into a quality case and save on a expensive phone.

🍻

I appreciate the input! I currently have an S7 active that the screen is going out on. It hasn't been bad, but the Samsungs come with so much bloatware. That's one of the reasons I'm looking to see what else is out there. Both of the phones mentioned run about $300 brand new which I don't think is too bad for a smart phone. Keep the thoughts coming!

Obviously not known as a "rugged" phone, but I have had a couple of iPhones and always immediately put them in LifeProof cases and (knock on wood) have never had any issues. Only reason I've replaced them is from switching plans and it's just too good a deal to pass up and I sell the old ones. My phones have seen plenty of drops and falls onto hard surfaces as well as gotten soaked a handful of times. Might get a little dust inside the cover every now and then, but never anything major. I've also taken underwater videos with my iPhone being completely submerged. I am a firm believer that the extra money for a good phone case makes a world of difference. If you like iPhones, spend up on a LifeProof case and just think of it as protecting your investment, or outfit any phone in a LifeProof case.

I would second Wild Bill above. I have used iPhones and as soon as I open the box, put the best and most durable OtterBox that they make. I have dropped my phone from a tree stand multiple times with no issues and no damage to phone or case. That sold me on those cases!!!

Back