Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rochester MN

isu22andy

Moving to Rochester MN for 3 years come this July for my wifes schooling. Anyone from around there? Hows the job market ? Housing looks a little high but what isnt. . Fishing looks decent . Anything I need to know there??? Hunting looks like its going to be a little lacking compared to Iowa. Going to miss the farm and whitetails I feel like , but hopefully the fishing makes up for it ! Any insight helpful. Havent lived in a city since college 7 years ago so will be a change for me. Have a degree in Ag Business. Thanks for any help .

Moving to Rochester MN for 3 years come this July for my wifes schooling. Anyone from around there? Hows the job market ? Housing looks a little high but what isnt. . Fishing looks decent . Anything I need to know there??? Hunting looks like its going to be a little lacking compared to Iowa. Going to miss the farm and whitetails I feel like , but hopefully the fishing makes up for it ! Any insight helpful. Havent lived in a city since college 7 years ago so will be a change for me. Have a degree in Ag Business. Thanks for any help .
Lots of whitetails in that area, but public access may be trickier... There's some excellent trout fishing nearby and I'd encourage you to explore the waterfowl hunting. You're pretty close to the Mississippi. Fishing is always a big part of life when living in MN...

Canada is close. Come on up for the fishing. Border is about six hours from Twin Cities. We have more water than land on this side.

I'm on the other side of the state but have spent some time over there. Fishing is ok, you have some good trout streams around there. Pheasant hunting should also be pretty good. Can't speak about whitetail.

Whitetail to the SE should be pretty good. And there is nothing like a northwoods whitetail experience! Rochester is known for awesome goose hunting. You will have a lot of variety in what you want to hunt, that is for sure. a few hours or less drive time will put you in some really good hunting. Plus, if your arm or leg falls off, Mayo Clinic will put you back together!

Whitetail to the SE should be pretty good. And there is nothing like a northwoods whitetail experience! Rochester is known for awesome goose hunting. You will have a lot of variety in what you want to hunt, that is for sure. a few hours or less drive time will put you in some really good hunting. Plus, if your arm or leg falls off, Mayo Clinic will put you back together!
I like to shoot a few geese now and then . Is the private land pretty locked down or most land owners willing to let a guy on ?

I'm just a half hour south of Rochester.
You shouldn't have an issue finding a job seems like lots of places are looking for employees and the ag business degree will be helpful.
Housing has gotten pretty wild but I think that is pretty much everywhere now.
There are lots of places to fish in the area I just for some reason havet gone much lately but I could show you some spots.
There are alot of deer around and some pretty big ones. Getting permission seems to be more difficult every year with people paying ridiculous money for some leases. If you get a job in something ag related you will have no trouble finding land to hunt. There is also some public that's not bad but I would recommend bow hunting it when there is alot less pressure.

The trout fishing can be pretty rad. Not like out west but there’s streams with tons of trout, and many will have a trout or two over 20”.

There is a fair amount of public between the Whitewater WMA and RJD state forest system, but there is a fair amount of pressure for every hunt able species, even down to squirrel.

Overall tho I really like the Driftless. I’ve spent a ton of time down there the past two years.

Walleye fishing on the Mississippi. There are public lands to deer hunt in the south east corner but i bet they get hit hard. There's lots of small communities within a 30 minute drive where you might find a little more affordable housing. Could be wrong though. Chatfield is a nice little community.

I've lived in 3 of MN's college towns outside of the Twin Cities; Mankato, St. Cloud and Rochester. Rochester is probably the nicest, though I prefer Mankato. The identity of the city is built around Mayo Hospital, and it definitely has the most influence in the culture. Some good fishing nearby. Cant say much about private hunting opportunities, though I would bet there is more public ground nearby than most places in Iowa and Rochester is in the part of the state known for big bucks. My buddies kill some some nice bucks in Whitewater WMA every other year or so.

Thanks for all the replies . I’ve lived in the same area the 30 years of my existence other than the 4 I spent at a college . So will be a different experience moving to a location with no friends or family !

Great area for big bucks and lots of deer. Should be good hunting within an hour or a little more. Whitewater was mentioned. A giant comes out of there on a fairly regular basis, but it is definitely a heavily hunted area. Personally, I would focus on other areas, but that's me.

Similarly for fishing, there is plenty of good fishing within a reasonable distance of Rochester.

The locations I speak of are east of Rochester. I'm not familiar with areas right around Rochester or west of it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back