Caribou Gear Tarp

Rifle Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice for 2023

A bad hit on an elk is bad no matter the cartridge. Shooting the smallest one possible in no way makes a hunter more knowledgeable or competent in hitting a target. mtmuley

No kidding, I wasn’t intending to imply that. Just pointing out that in the case of this poll, the smallest cartridge was from a guy (Carl) that is likely also the most knowledgeable about what goes into hitting a target amongst the polled.

300WSM 180gr Acuubonds. Have a cow tag in MT and bull and cow tags in WY. Haven’t decided yet whether to also get a general OTC tag in UT.

7mm PRC 175gr ELD-X. I have an archery only permit in MT so hopefully I don't have to try the new rifle but if I do it'll be in a general unit somewhere.

6.5 CM 143 ELDX

Worked great on the last few elk I’ve taken, must have found a chink in this impenetrable armour they apparently have

6CM with 105 Berger or 108 Eld-m
I don't know if this is a joke, but DO NOT use the 108 gr. Eld-m's. I shot my whitetail buck with them last year and they cratered like crazy. I only got about 4 to 5 inches of penetration before they went to pieces.

I don't know if this is a joke, but DO NOT use the 108 gr. Eld-m's. I shot my whitetail buck with them last year and they cratered like crazy. I only got about 4 to 5 inches of penetration before they went to pieces.
Let me guess, I need a solid like a hammer bullet. Lol

Let me guess, I need a solid like a hammer bullet. Lol
Not necessarily, if you are going to use the 6CM just get within 300yds and use the 105 Berger and you will be ok, though the caliber is a bit light. The 108 is just super soft, tipped bullet. never good when shooting big bodied critters.

Maybe MT and ruger/marlin trapper 45-70 for timber, sako finnlight .308 if I hunt open areas

Legendary Arms Work rifle in 300 win mag with hand loaded 200 grain hornady eld-x bullets

I know, I know, I know, another elk rifle piece. I wanted to log the first choice(and only choice) of the rifle caliber and bullet choice you plan to use on this year's rifle elk hunt. A limit of 400 yards is set. And what state will you be hunting in? So here I go:

35 Whelen using a hand loaded 225 gr Nosler AB, Hunting Colorado's 1st Rifle Season
New Mexico, win model 70 SG in 270win with factory 150gr partitions.

6.5 prc and 139 Lapua scenars. After doing a lot of reading on this load here and other sites and pirating this load from others, I settled on it. The accuracy is amazing and a little testing I’ve done for penetration and expansion seems really impressive as well.

6.5 prc and 139 Lapua scenars. After doing a lot of reading on this load here and other sites and pirating this load from others, I settled on it. The accuracy is amazing and a little testing I’ve done for penetration and expansion seems really impressive as well.
Good to see this. I’m just starting down that road with the same. Did some load strings to find pressure last weekend and will carve out some time next week to get some groups loaded up for testing. What powder are you using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back