Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Remage barrel will not thread on??

wisconsinteacher

I'm attempting to put my NSS barrel on my 700 action but I'm only able to thread it into the action about 1/2" before it gets super tight. Are the thread specs do thight that I can't spin the barrel on without a vice normal?

The holes shouldn't be in the way but sometimes the base screws are a touch long. You could touch screw holes with a bit of emery cloth or something if there is a bur but work slow. If the screws are long it's just barely so again only take a bit off by hand if necessary.

Also a phone call to NSS may be worthwhile. Hopefully your threads aren't damaged

More than likely the threads in the action are dirty and or filled with the factory thread sealant. They could be a little undersized also.
Best bet is to run a tap through them to insure everything is good.
Have you cleaned the threads in the action? Solvent with a brush?
You should be able to thread the barrel into the action by hand and it should lock up tight against the recoil lug.

Something is messed up. I got it 1/2 way on and I could hear grinding. i backed it off and the threads are meessed up i cant even take the barrel nut off now.

I just had my local smith look at it and he says the thread pitch on the barrel is not correct. I will call NSS Monday and see what they say. Hopefully I didn't mess things up too bad.

Last edited:
After talking to the local smith, we believe that I may have been given a Savage barrel? The barrel nut threads perfect but it wouldn't thread in the action???? I'm hoping this is the case and that I didn't mess up anything with my action. Mistakes happen so hopefully Monday morning I can talk to Jim and make a plan for them to look it all over.

If you ordered from NSS, i'd be willing to bet it's a Savage barrel.

So you cranked it in tight enough to mess up the threads?

Were i NSS, i'd appologize for the mix up.
But you'd be paying for another barrel.

Yikes! Sounds like you got a savage threaded barrel or definitely something not threaded correctly.
Can you post a pic of the barrel/threads?

It’s fixable certainly. Worst case scenario you have your gunsmith open the Remington action threads oversized and you can still get Remage barrels for it.

I called Northland and he said it was an issue with my receiver and to have a gunsmith look at it.

Any recommendation on a smith that knows how to clean up a 700 action and would be willing to look at this?

While there are certainly quite a few people who have been pleased with prefit and Remage type barrels, this is one of the many reasons that it’s BEST to have a rifle barreled by a competent and experienced person who owns a lathe.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back