Recent photos

R.K.

Let's start with yesterday - I got a limit of eater walleye with a couple extras for the table. Crankbaits up shallow are one of my favorite ways to catch fish, and it's just a fun way to get a mixed bag- there are a couple nice perch hiding in there.

PXL_20220611_022626908.MP.jpg

And one heck of a bonus walleye- think this probably is my second largest. Released, as usual.

PXL_20220611_023036938.MP.jpg

PXL_20220611_023212763.jpg

Two weeks ago, I ran up to Deadman's basin. I wanted to catch Kokanee, and I've had them on my bucket list for some time. They're pretty fun, and fairly tasty.

PXL_20220604_193627281.MP.jpgPXL_20220605_011025275.jpg

Found a decent brown in a creek- absolutely love the pattern on this one.

PXL_20220518_001210408.jpg

First trip to Ft Peck- got two northerns like this. Fun times. Overwhelming amount of water when you're on foot.

PXL_20220308_010740606.jpg

And last but not least- a surprise while crappie fishing with my dad on a trip in April. Caught it on 4# test, about 35#, and was quite the rodeo to get in. Definitely fun though.

PXL_20220505_190105414.jpg

Photo dump over. How's everyone else been doing?

Last edited:
Sooner or later this year I am going to make an effort to start on walleye. haven't heard anyone say they were anything less than great for eating. have only ever caught one. Guided tripo and took 8 hrs to get it! Hope they are not always that hard to get! Only thing I really remember about it was I never realized it was a fish till I got it up to the boat! Then the guide cleaned then and left in a row of little bones I didn't know were there and pretty much ruined it for eating! That fish I got was maybe 12" maybe a bit more and felt like I was hooked onto a pop can full of water!

Those, for the most part are some nice looking fish! have to try them some more. Just a long drive up to the river from here but then again no farther than my favorite crappie water. You really catch some of them on plugs? I got a bunch of plugs set aside to try!

Sooner or later this year I am going to make an effort to start on walleye. haven't heard anyone say they were anything less than great for eating. have only ever caught one. Guided tripo and took 8 hrs to get it! Hope they are not always that hard to get! Only thing I really remember about it was I never realized it was a fish till I got it up to the boat! Then the guide cleaned then and left in a row of little bones I didn't know were there and pretty much ruined it for eating! That fish I got was maybe 12" maybe a bit more and felt like I was hooked onto a pop can full of water!

Those, for the most part are some nice looking fish! have to try them some more. Just a long drive up to the river from here but then again no farther than my favorite crappie water. You really catch some of them on plugs? I got a bunch of plugs set aside to try!
I catch most of my walleye on flicker shads. If you're fishing a river, I used to catch them at dawn in the Ozarks fishing the deepest part (the trough) of a run above a deep bluff hole. Dragging them downstream really really fast worked wonders. Blue with silver worked really well. Otherwise, you can hop a jig with a minnow or a nightcrawler in the same areas, possibly some eddy areas, and pick a few up that way.

I know in the deeper lakes some guys run crankbaits on three-way rigs or bottom bouncers in that 25 to 35 range, or they'll mark some fish and put a nightcrawler on a quarter ounce jig head and slowly hop it through them. They're biggest fish are usually in March on jerk baits fished excruciatingly slow.

I really like finding a piece of structure or weed line or rock pile they frequent and using slip corks with leeches. Nice and relaxing, and just a boatload of fun when it finally dunks 😁.

For the most part? If it's a lake with a lot of walleye, a wind blown rocky spot with a ledge in 5 to 15 ft of water, and throw crankbaits shallow and bring them back deeper.

I really like the look of that brown. I need to actually learn how to catch river walleye some time. Nice work.

Thanks for that reply R.K. I watched a video of a guy using a jig with a night crawler on it and he did really well. I like jigs and got some just to try for walleyes. Was gonn try those plastic jig bodies and got a bunch but thinking I'm gonna try the worm before them. be nice if my crank baits would work, haven't used them in years!

Thanks for that reply R.K. I watched a video of a guy using a jig with a night crawler on it and he did really well. I like jigs and got some just to try for walleyes. Was gonn try those plastic jig bodies and got a bunch but thinking I'm gonna try the worm before them. be nice if my crank baits would work, haven't used them in years!
Really depends on where you are. If you're up north where they are plentiful, then definitely troll or throw crankbaits at ledges and breaklines, windswept points, etc.- anywhere that will pile up bait and allow the predators escape to deeper water and cover.

If you're closer to Arkansas, then focus on reservoirs with the 25+ ft depth range in summer. 1/8-1/4 oz jigheads with a full or half crawler. I've heard that flats next to river channel swings are the place to be, whether it's jigging with crawlers or spoons, or trolling cranks and bottom bouncers. Good luck!

Let's start with yesterday - I got a limit of walleye with a couple extras for the table. Crankbaits up shallow are one of my favorite ways to catch fish, and it's just a fun way to get a mixed bag.

View attachment 225541

And one heck of a bonus walleye- think this probably is my second largest.

View attachment 225542

View attachment 225540

Two weeks ago, I ran up to Deadman's basin. I wanted to catch Kokanee, and I've had them on my bucket list for some time. They're pretty fun, and fairly tasty.

View attachment 225543View attachment 225544

Found a decent brown in a creek- absolutely love the pattern on this one.

View attachment 225539

First trip to Ft Peck- got two northerns like this. Fun times. Overwhelming amount of water when you're on foot.

View attachment 225546

And last but not least- a surprise while crappie fishing with my dad on a trip in April. Caught it on 4# test, about 35#, and was quite the rodeo to get in. Definitely fun though.

View attachment 225545

Photo dump over. How's everyone else been doing?
you are catching lots of giant fish! nice work!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back