Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

quick question with maybe a long answer

ibchez

A few weeks back I went to zero my muzzleloader and I was finding the my scope would not respond to turret adjustments. I went back to the range a few days later and the POI had shifted to where I was originally attempting to move to. I went back a third time and the POI had shifted again. If all of the mounting hardware is tight on the bases and rings and the barrel were cleaned and seasoned; There has to be an issue with my scope itself, correct? I am looking for some ideas to start investigating. Historically my ML was very accurate, stored after being cleaned lubed and seasoned, and had not been hunted with for a few years. I would prefer to not have to but a new barrel if I can avoid it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
sounds like your scope needs to be fixed or replaced. I remember having an old Simmons scope that had to be tapped to make the adjustments actually move.

What's the make and model of your scope?

Simple answer is get a new scope...sounds like it's junk. Cabela's supposedly has a lifetime warranty on those scopes but now that Bass Pro owns them I don't know if they'll honor it. Call their Customer Service

Simple answer is get a new scope...sounds like it's junk. Cabela's supposedly has a lifetime warranty on those scopes but now that Bass Pro owns them I don't know if they'll honor it. Call their Customer Service
I called and you were correct, no joy on a replacement.

You might check the alignment on your rings. If they're not aligned it could be applying torque to the scope body that's causing a hangup. If that's good than it's likely the scope. But at least you'll know that it won't affect the next scope you install.

Either the scope is junk, or as ShadowFast1 mentioned, the rings are not properly aligned causing the internals to jam. Also very sad to see that BPS/Cabela's has voided the lifetime guarantee policy, part of the great experience of being a Cabela's customer was their customer service and how they stood behind their products.

I'd replace it. Leupold & Vortex are both good about honoring their warranties. Sounds like I'd go someplace other than Cabela's or Bass Pro to buy it.

New mounts and new scope. Start over and re-build you gun and confidence...lol Been there...done that...hence the reason I dont own nor will I ever own any Nikon scopes again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back