Questions - help

Bush Baby

O.K. Guys help me out here,

Turkey hunting, what’s the game here. I see in the U.S. magazines that we get out here, adverts and articles on Turkey hunting. Here are my assumptions from the little bit I’ve been able to read:
Turkey must have very keen eyesight, hence the need for absolute camouflage, and extra powerful 12ga loads and full chokes – tight patterns at long range.
They are always called in and only headshots are taken, there is some form of trophy value, but not one recognised by Rowland Ward or SCI, they are in fact shot ‘for the pot’.
There is a specific season for them and where they are found, they occur naturally.

Would a slow heavy hard cast bullet (limiting meat damage), such as a 30-30 – 180gr at 1800fps, or even a 444 Marlin – 240gr at 1700fps, and taking body shots not be just as effective, and by increasing the effective range, maybe a bit easier ? Or have I got it wrong ?
There is a strong contingent of varmint shooters in the States – hitting small targets at extreme ranges – can’t turkeys also be shot in the head with the same super accurate combinations, but at 100-200 yards instead of 300-400 yards ? Is there some law prohibiting the use if rifles or handguns, if so, why ?
Is it not possible to hunt Turkeys by ‘walk and stalk’, or do you have to be stationary ?

BUSH BABY,
SHOTGUNS OR BOWS ARE USUALLY USED ON TURKS..ALTHOUGH THERE ARE A FEW STATES THAT ALLOW RIFLES ECT....

AS TO TROPHY VALUE ...THERE ARE THE SPURS AND BEARD TO ADD TO THE TROPHY ROOM...I HAVE HUNTED ALL SORTS OF GAME AND TURKS RANK RIGHT UP THERE IN MOST PEOPLES BOOKS...TOPS IN MY BOOKS..

THE NATIONAL WILD TURKEY FEDERATION KEEPS TROPHY SCORES ..THEY ARE LIKE BOONE AND CROCKET OR POPE AND YOUNG FOR DEER.

WHILE ONE CAN HARVEST A TURKEY STALKIN'

THE TRUE SPORT OF TURKEY HUNTIN' IS IN THE CALLING IN OF THE BIRD TO THE GUN...

IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS IN SPECIFIC I WOULD GLADLY TRY AND ANSWER THEM FOR YOU..

2V59150.jpg

A nice 18 pound gobbler I shot last fall. I used a 22-250 to harvest this bird. That's my wife's grandpa in the picture with me.
Doug

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 25 July 2001 16:21: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

Doug, welcome to hunttalk im glad to have another turkey around here to talk about hunting, i mean turkey hunting well you know what i mean :D:D: just kiddin glad ya stopped in and hope to hear alot more from ya!!! mntns of P.A. sure is pretty up there cant wait to hear more about the hunting in that area!!!!

Welcome to Bush Baby and to Doug!

Bush Baby CTH answered the way I would have and so did DKO. The regs in each state are different. I dont know about long range so I cant help you out there. My state only allows us to kill a turkey with a shotgun,bow or a crossbow.

NICE PIC Doug!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back