PEAX Equipment

Question about draw length

Nut

I have been measured at 28" for my draw length. This is without a mechanical release. I was using a bow ith a 29" draw length and a mechanical release. I was always not quite comfortable with my anchor position. I had gotten another bow with a 29" drawlength. I gave both bows to my boys and will be looking for another bow for me. I am wondering how much should I take off the drawlength to compensate for the mechanical release?

Nut,
When I went from fingers to release I added about an inch to my draw, but then again I was growing quick at the time.

On a similar note I shoot a bow with a 28 inch draw and am thinking about going to a Mathews bow with a 29 inch draw. For some reason mathews (Q2 was what I was looking at) with a 29 inch draw seems to bring me to a more comfortable anchor point with a release than my current Reflex with a 28 inch draw (I measure 28 inch draw at archery shops). Maby it's the different overall bow length axle to axle that makes it feel so different. I say find a shop that will let you try different bows with different draw lengths using a release before you buy. I would think most decent archery shops, especially mom and pop types would let you. You never know, some you may like with a 28", others with a 29" draw. Also think about if you will be using a string loop or not. Good luck searching for the perfect bow.

~Dan~

Nut,
It's pretty much a fact that most people have there draw length too long! Generally, if your a 28 inch draw without a release(holding with your fingers let's say at the corner of your mouth anchor) you will usually shorten your draw length about an inch on your bow! Now releases very somewhat! So, decreasing your draw length depending on the increments of your particular bow may still not be perfect. The option here is twist the string up a little to shorten to make good. this may not be needed though! I see so many people buy a release like a cobra pro caliper and try to shoot it right out of the package! You have to shorten the release to fit your particular needs (like being able to reach the trigger without reaching)! Just my experience!

ElkHntrinMD

ElkhntinMD is right on about most folks with a too long draw length. I see it all the time. Of all the things that effect a solid anchor point, the draw length is the most critical. A rule I try to pass on to new archers is if your elbow is locked in you have your draw too long. I could probably shoot a 30 inch with no problem. But with the 29 inch draw my bow arm/elbow is slightly bent. I am 6'3" and shoot a 29 inch draw, on a Mathews MQ1. A couple of years back had a guy called me up to check out his bow. He was about 5'6" and was trying to shoot a 29, talk about a funny looking stance. He leaned away from the target at the waist. At full draw the string was against his upper chest. At twenty yards the best group he could muster was about 6 inches. Hope this helps you out. Tony

Stay calm and pick a spot!

Nut, Have you looked for any video's on bow shooting?
A friend sent home some real good ones for Steve and I to look at.
It's geared more toward's 3-D shooting but the info is good.
It goes into detail about form,draw leinght,realise aid's, etc.
I never knew that had this stuff out there.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back