Quail in Idaho

MULE

Have quail populations in Idaho been on the decline in recent years due to ATV's,ranching or the timber industry?

I don't think so. The type of habitat that quail use is not of much use to ATV's Ranchers or Timber interests. Most of the quail that I have encountered are in heavy cover that is growing on or in a terrain feature that wouldn't support any other use.
But then I'm pretty positive I haven't seen everything there is to see.

Just remembered someone bitchin' about how these things were affecting their bird hunting in Idaho.

Thats all

Hell yes! Riparian zones have been ruined by cattle (90% of all BLM riparian zones are in poor condition). That's where the quail live. If we had good riparian zones we'd have fantastic quail hunting on BLM---ten times better than now, at least. Probably fifty times better.

Grazing has also destroyed the migration corridors for Mountain Quail. That's why we don't have enough to hunt anymore. They're a candidate for the ESA.

Got the idea? You could write a book about how cattle have destroyed quail habitat in Idaho.

Why dont ya go over to Grand Jct. and ask if cattle have affected the quail hunting around there? Find somebody who knows what they're talking about, though, and can remember what it was like 40 years ago.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-12-2003 18:39: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Ibne37,

Glad you responded.

If that is true, why would you stand up in a fish and game meeting in december and advocate extending the season????

If there aren't enough birds why would you want to hurt the population further?

Your own self serving bullshit as usual.

You don't care about the species. You care about your hobby

You must be drunk again. Most quail are on private land and there are plenty there. With better public land there'd be zillions more. We have two kinds of quail. We can't hunt the Mountain Quail.

When you drink you turn into a real idiot.

I don't think I'll answer any more of your posts when you're hitting the bottle. It's time to join AA, Mule.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-12-2003 19:46: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back