Puddle Duck Chowder

colter8113

Have a freezer full of duck and decided to try something new out. This is a variation on a chowder recipe I found online and made it my own.
2 cups 1/2" diced potatoes (russet or yams)
4 duck breasts 1" cubed. The breasts I used were from medium sized mallards.
1 can sweet corn drained
1 1/4 cups chicken broth. Substitute bone broth if desired.
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 1/4 cups whole milk
2 tb flour. Use rice flour to make gluten free.
1 tb fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup minced shallots
8 to 10 oz of your favorite sausage. I used Jimmy Dean Hot and found it to not be hot enough.
Big handful of diced Kale
3 tbs of fresh chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste.
Olive oil
Brown sausage in pan, set aside. Brown duck to rare/medium rare in sausage fat. Set duck aside and put 2 tbs of oil in soup pot and set on medium high. Add sausage and shallots to soup pot and sweat shallots. When shallots are translucent add garlic, cook garlic until it become aromatic. Add potatoes, corn, and stock, boil 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cream, milk, and flower and whisk until mixed. Heat until pot is a good chowder consistency. Add kale and chives, let wilt in chowder for 5 minutes, stir well and serve. Makes about 4 hearty. servings.

Turned out amazing, I will make again many more times. Let me know if you try it!

Attachments

• duck chowder.jpg
    duck chowder.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Have a freezer full of duck and decided to try something new out. This is a variation on a chowder recipe I found online and made it my own.
2 cups 1/2" diced potatoes (russet or yams)
4 duck breasts 1" cubed. The breasts I used were from medium sized mallards.
1 can sweet corn drained
1 1/4 cups chicken broth. Substitute bone broth if desired.
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 1/4 cups whole milk
2 tb flour. Use rice flour to make gluten free.
1 tb fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup minced shallots
8 to 10 oz of your favorite sausage. I used Jimmy Dean Hot and found it to not be hot enough.
Big handful of diced Kale
3 tbs of fresh chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste.
Olive oil
Brown sausage in pan, set aside. Brown duck to rare/medium rare in sausage fat. Set duck aside and put 2 tbs of oil in soup pot and set on medium high. Add sausage and shallots to soup pot and sweat shallots. When shallots are translucent add garlic, cook garlic until it become aromatic. Add potatoes, corn, and stock, boil 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cream, milk, and flower and whisk until mixed. Heat until pot is a good chowder consistency. Add kale and chives, let wilt in chowder for 5 minutes, stir well and serve. Makes about 4 hearty. servings.

Turned out amazing, I will make again many more times. Let me know if you try it!
Damn! looks great

looks great
BB.jpg

Ok I made this on Sunday and the entire family LOVED it. They asked if this can be added to the deer camp menu...I call that a win. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Attachments

• 0045FA20-8C60-48F7-88BD-FF8CDEE56DB9.jpeg
    0045FA20-8C60-48F7-88BD-FF8CDEE56DB9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back