Price drop***Kowa TSN-553

Carnage2011

I have a basically brand new Kowa TSN-553 for sale. Great spotter and I’ve only used it a total of 6 times. Selling as I don’t use it enough to justify keeping it.

$1475

@Carnage2011 Sorry to bring this back from the dead- But how did you like the TSN? I've been looking to downsize on my spotter and upgrade my glass- currently have the gen 1 Vortex Razor 85mm and wondering if this is the route I want to go. Thanks!

@Carnage2011 Sorry to bring this back from the dead- But how did you like the TSN? I've been looking to downsize on my spotter and upgrade my glass- currently have the gen 1 Vortex Razor 85mm and wondering if this is the route I want to go. Thanks!

I've got the same spotter along with a Swaro ATX 65 and 95. It does give a little up to the smaller Swaro, but it is a great spotter. I take the Kowa more than the Swaro while hunting rugged terrain. IMO the biggest things you're giving up are low light performance and FOV.

It’s an awesome little spotter with great glass. I just always find myself packing the bigger spotter and don’t use it enough. If you want to look through it sometime just let me know.

I've got the same spotter along with a Swaro ATX 65 and 95. It does give a little up to the smaller Swaro, but it is a great spotter. I take the Kowa more than the Swaro while hunting rugged terrain. IMO the biggest things you're giving up are low light performance and FOV.
It’s an awesome little spotter with great glass. I just always find myself packing the bigger spotter and don’t use it enough. If you want to look through it sometime just let me know.
Thanks for the responses! I figured I'd be giving up something compared to the Swaro 65, but at 20oz less, I'd heard pretty good things about the Kowa glass in the TSN 553 and 554 for their size.

@amo16- good to know that you'd reach for the Kowa in some cases over the Swaro- I'm guessing weight and size are the big factors there?

@Carnage2011- if you don't mind me asking, what are you carrying for your go-to spotter in lieu of the Kowa?

At this point- I'm looking to probably keep the Razor 85mm, sell my Kaibab 18x Binos, and get the Kowa or a similar small spotter. I've just heard much better things about the Kowa over the small Vortex/Leupold etc. Depending on how I'd like the smaller spotter, I'd get rid of the Razor later on. The Kaibab's are heavy and I just don't use them as much as I'd use a small spotter, since they're a little tight for scanning, and not tight enough for when I want to get a closer look.

Thanks for the responses! I figured I'd be giving up something compared to the Swaro 65, but at 20oz less, I'd heard pretty good things about the Kowa glass in the TSN 553 and 554 for their size.

@amo16- good to know that you'd reach for the Kowa in some cases over the Swaro- I'm guessing weight and size are the big factors there?

@Carnage2011- if you don't mind me asking, what are you carrying for your go-to spotter in lieu of the Kowa?

At this point- I'm looking to probably keep the Razor 85mm, sell my Kaibab 18x Binos, and get the Kowa or a similar small spotter. I've just heard much better things about the Kowa over the small Vortex/Leupold etc. Depending on how I'd like the smaller spotter, I'd get rid of the Razor later on. The Kaibab's are heavy and I just don't use them as much as I'd use a small spotter, since they're a little tight for scanning, and not tight enough for when I want to get a closer look.
I have a few different spotting scopes but 90% of the time I’m packing the Kowa 88mm. If I’m on an extended backpack hunt I’ll take the Kowa 77. I bought the 55 strictly for backpack hunting and It performed well, but I find myself liking the bigger spotter more. I also own a Leica 65 and IMO the Kowa 55 outperforms it everywhere.

I only grab the Kowa when there's a ton of vertical in the forecast and low light performance isn't a top priority. You're giving up a little performance with the Kowa, buy it isn't a lot and saves nearly 2 lbs compared to my Swaro 65. If you're primarily using it for the purpose of determining if an animal is legal then the Kowa will work fantastic and probably only give up a few minutes of glassing on either end of the day. That 2 lb savings it provides is sure nice on the days where you climb 4k'.

Back