PEAX Equipment

Pretty is as pretty does

Calif. Hunter

I bought one of the Remington 40X .22 target rifles the CMP was selling last month. I finally got it today and have to say, that compared to the ones being shown off on Rimforecentral.com, mine looked pretty shabby. Not as bad as some, butr definitely not the pick of the litter as far as looks go. Upon taking it apart, it was obvious that it had been little and mechanically well cared for. I cleaned it up, brushing the bolt and breech and running a couple patches down the barrel. The bore looked excellent. I mounted a Tasco target scope I had since it was the only one above 12 power that I had unmounted.

Here are the pictures of the rifle -

Attachments

• 40 stock1.jpg
    40 stock1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,976
  • 40X stock2.jpg
    40X stock2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,837
  • 40X stock3.jpg
    40X stock3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 820
Here is another one -

Here is how it shot at 50 yards. Bottom left = 10 shots, bottom right = 3 shots. The others are all 5 shot groups at 50 yards.

Attachments

• 40X stock4.jpg
    40X stock4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,806
  • 40 X groups.jpg
    40 X groups.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,231
It stands for Civilian Marksmanship Program, and it used to be a government program. It provides for marksmanship training and sells new rimfire target and surplus military rifles to US citizens. They currently have Garands, M-1 carbines and occasionally 1903 Springfields. They also sell new .22 target rifles from Anschutz and Savage. It's cool to receive a rifle from the Fed EX guy and no waiting period!

You can do an internet search for their website. Check out the "Rifle Sales" tab and the "e-store" for what they have available now. I believe they are completely out of the 40Xs, but they did have some "short stocks" available. This is a very heavy rifle, though, and would only be suitable for a child to shoot from the bench.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back