Pretty female

Turned this pretty female loose this evening. It’s a great spot for a cat set until you have to crawl under there to turn a female loose then it’s a little tight quarters.
View attachment 169643
Do you turn all females loose? Is it the law or are you just letting the breeders go to keep populations healthy? Not trying to be nosey just genuinely interested. This is only my second year cat trapping and first year having success. I've noticed I'm catching 3 females for every male.

Do you turn all females loose? Is it the law or are you just letting the breeders go to keep populations healthy? Not trying to be nosey just genuinely interested. This is only my second year cat trapping and first year having success. I've noticed I'm catching 3 females for every male.
I let the females go to keep the population up.

I let the females go to keep the population up.
Makes sense. I have permission to trap a couple thousand acres of private property (after deer season)that's used exclusively as hunting leases. The landowners tend to have a kill them all mentality towards predators that eat "their" deer and turkey. Got my 3rd female from this property yesterday and still no tom.20210112_095843.jpg

Makes sense. I have permission to trap a couple thousand acres of private property (after deer season)that's used exclusively as hunting leases. The landowners tend to have a kill them all mentality towards predators that eat "their" deer and turkey. Got my 3rd female from this property yesterday and still no tom.View attachment 169798
He will be cruising here in the next couple weeks

Curious how do you tell the difference between male and female from a distance? Wondering because I had one checked by fish and game the other day and took him a bit to find the male parts. It was a younger cat.

Curious how do you tell the difference between male and female from a distance? Wondering because I had one checked by fish and game the other day and took him a bit to find the male parts. It was a younger cat.
Ever had a house cat walk in front of you with its tail up? One hole or two. But seriously I have to put the catch pole on them before I can tell although I’ve gotten pretty good at guessing.

Ever had a house cat walk in front of you with its tail up? One hole or two. But seriously I have to put the catch pole on them before I can tell although I’ve gotten pretty good at guessing.
Thanks for the info, I should have thought about that for a second before posting. You probably aren't releasing them by hand as they seem kind of pissed when trapped. After seeing this one I got up close I wouldn't want any part of those teeth or claws.

Thanks for the info, I should have thought about that for a second before posting. You probably aren't releasing them by hand as they seem kind of pissed when trapped. After seeing this one I got up close I wouldn't want any part of those teeth or claws.
Catch pole like a dog catcher uses

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back