Practical Hiking Slope/Vertical Gain Limitations While Hunting

The one time I've hunted in Idaho, I learned that my guide was a mountain goat. I was 19 years old and in good shape. Then, my guide made me look like I was a fat old guy hobbling up the mountains. No matter how much you plan, it's hard to tell without being there.

Hiking is about the distance you can cover. Hunting is about how well you cover the distance.
I have never gave much thought into how far I could hike in a certain amount of time other then the hike in in the dark.

Not much of a spot and stalk hunter then...

Hmmmmm can I get to those elk by this afternoon/evening or do I go half way and hunt them tomorrow morning....🤔
1582646628788.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The one time I've hunted in Idaho, I learned that my guide was a mountain goat. I was 19 years old and in good shape. Then, my guide made me look like I was a fat old guy hobbling up the mountains. No matter how much you plan, it's hard to tell without being there.
Lol yeah I’m a 35 year old office worker but I’m putting my weighted backpack work in before I head out.

I've found that most people grossly overestimate their abilities. I'd recommend coming up with a plan then halving it. I'm as guilty as anyone. There are definitely a few critters this last year that were right were I hoped they'd be, but once on the ground realized there was no way I was getting to them and then extracting them.

I would multiply all of the numbers above by 75% your first year. If you can do better, great. But walking a 15 minute mile on a treadmill or sidewalk is NOT walking a 15 minute mile in the mountains. Just to begin with, I am 5'10". A 15 minute mile just does not work well with my natural walking motion. But maybe you are tall and lanky and it will work for you!

If you challenge the mountain, the mountain always wins. It is just a question of how much you suffer in defeat.

I would multiply all of the numbers above by 75% your first year. If you can do better, great. But walking a 15 minute mile on a treadmill or sidewalk is NOT walking a 15 minute mile in the mountains. Just to begin with, I am 5'10". A 15 minute mile just does not work well with my natural walking motion. But maybe you are tall and lanky and it will work for you!

If you challenge the mountain, the mountain always wins. It is just a question of how much you suffer in defeat.
Thanks, I'm about your size so no added lank to help me. Lots of great quotes coming out of this thread.

I've found that most people grossly overestimate their abilities. I'd recommend coming up with a plan then halving it. I'm as guilty as anyone. There are definitely a few critters this last year that were right were I hoped they'd be, but once on the ground realized there was no way I was getting to them and then extracting them.
Yes good thought. Makes me reconsider my glassing areas. I can see a long way but can I get there if I see something?

Whatever amount and slope you hike... make sure you have trekking poles. They're really frickin helpful, especially if you have deadfall or slick conditions on a slope.

Yes good comment. This line of questioning is based on walks in the dark from the truck to a spike camp location. I'm not trying to cover very much distance during daylight.
If you are hiking in before light it is going to take more time. If you have never walked the rout in the daylight and just going off of maps I would count on the hike taking double the day light time.

If you are hiking in before light it is going to take more time. If you have never walked the rout in the daylight and just going off of maps I would count on the hike taking double the day light time.
Ok thanks good to know.

You can climb it no matter the slope if it has vegetation, but even with daypack, your max speed will likely 1mph if you don't have deadfall, and 0.5mph if you have deadfall. With a heavy pack, don't count on averaging more than 1mph off trail. On trail in the mountains, 2mph is admirable.

Naismiths rule is a good starting point. Add time for obstacles and a pack.

Not sure if mentioned, but remember that topo maps smooth out the cliffs. Check the aerial for rocks when the lines get close, might be cliffs. Also beware of slopes that get worse below, dont want to start sliding on some scree and...

I'm a hillbilly, not a flatlander but not a mountaineer. So those are things that scare me lol.

I’m 35 and a desk jockey, I run a few times a week in the summer to stay in shape but I’m 150lbs and accustomed to northern Michigan “hills”. I’ve been to. Idaho a couple times and found what I consider to be my hiking limits in elevation with about 30-35lbs of gear. I’ve saved those tracks on google earth as a sanity check while e scouting. I can take a look at the distance vs angle and get back with you.

It may sound stupid, but I found out what I was doing wrong in years 1&2. I went too fast. Take small steps. I’m used to having a giant stride here in Michigan and covering lots of ground. A local laughed at me out there and told me “you Michigan boys don’t know how to walk up hill”. I was trying to go straight up with big steps all the time. I got places fast, but it was brutal. Oh yea that local guy...60 years old and smoking a cigarette as he out climbed me hahahahaha.

I’m 35 and a desk jockey, I run a few times a week in the summer to stay in shape but I’m 150lbs and accustomed to northern Michigan “hills”. I’ve been to. Idaho a couple times and found what I consider to be my hiking limits in elevation with about 30-35lbs of gear. I’ve saved those tracks on google earth as a sanity check while e scouting. I can take a look at the distance vs angle and get back with you.

It may sound stupid, but I found out what I was doing wrong in years 1&2. I went too fast. Take small steps. I’m used to having a giant stride here in Michigan and covering lots of ground. A local laughed at me out there and told me “you Michigan boys don’t know how to walk up hill”. I was trying to go straight up with big steps all the time. I got places fast, but it was brutal. Oh yea that local guy...60 years old and smoking a cigarette as he out climbed me hahahahaha.
Yeah that would be great if you could give me an idea of the ground you cover based on your past trips. I could see stride making a big difference. We just don't have the hills here to compare to. I live near the Adirondack Mountains in NY and I think the biggest one has 3,000 feet of vertical but over a long distance.

Back