Caribou Gear

POV Camera Recommendations?

mcelweed

Anyone have any experience using the Drift HD POV camera for hunts. I mostly hunt solo and am considering a POV camera to mount on my rifle for next year. I like the Drift HD because of the ability to view video and pictures on camera screen. So criteria for camera is viewing on camera, good zoom capability, water resistant/proof, and good video and stills quality.

Any other suggestions for cameras to use?

I have never used the Drift. As far as POV I think GoPro is the way to go for the most part. The new ones have some great capabilities. But the limiting thing I have found is aiming them. I have the original HD Hero and "miss" the action 50% of the time. I mainly use mine for time lapses and underwater shots now. I did not think that any POV camera had a zoom function but I see the drift has a 4x digital. I would not use digital if I could help it. Would be a good thing to check out optical zoom vs Digital. You lose a lot of quality the more digital zoom you have.

Last edited:
I just got a GoPro 3 Black in December and love it.

Pros:
durable and waterproof
many settings
very small
1080 video and 12 MP stills
tons of accessories (which can be found cheap on Amazon)
free smartphone app that allows you to see what you are filming in live time

Cons:
poor zoom (as most POV cameras)
poor battery life (extra batteries can be bought on Amazon for $7 a piece)
settings can be overwhelming
only takes mini memory cards

Last edited:
Here is one of my first pictures on the GoPro. I wish I had more work to show you, but I've only got to use it a handful of times.

You can get an LCD screen for the gopro. It allows you to see what your filming and take pics but it is very hard to see in the field. Also battery life becomes an issue. The gopro works but objects seem so far away and the audio is poor.

You can get an LCD screen for the gopro. It allows you to see what your filming and take pics but it is very hard to see in the field. Also battery life becomes an issue. The gopro works but objects seem so far away and the audio is poor.

I'm actually really impressed with the audio on mine. Are you filming with the waterproof housing on? That mutes everything big time.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back