Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Post-Rut Archery Elk Tactics

AZ_Engineer

I drew a post rut archery tag here in AZ. The hunt is the last two weeks in November, and was just looking for some tips since this will be past the rut. From what I have learned here in AZ is get away from roads helps find game but getting in close for archery range is going to be quite the challenge. I like spot and stalk while working with the wind but as we all know that doesn't always work in our favor. I plan on using game cams to check on water holes but was curious if there were any other tactics that have helped people be successful on these post rut archery hunts.

AZ_Engineer

You can still call them in with cow calls. you might not call in a monster, but I've successfully called in bulls in New Mexico the week before Thanksgiving. Successfully making the shot... different story.

You can still call them in with cow calls. you might not call in a monster, but I've successfully called in bulls in New Mexico the week before Thanksgiving. Successfully making the shot... different story.

That is good information. Thank you for the response.

Still gotta drink. If its not freezing, look for tanks that are getting hit. Still gotta eat. Not sure about AZ, but I'd look for nearby private land with green fields. Try and find a trail and set up on that. I wouldn't call much. They're wore out and have their cows with them. More of a locator type thing.

Thank you for the pointers. I do plan on finding traveled areas/tanks. From my understanding herd bulls will be alone in the thick timbers and deep canyons trying to recover from the rut. Most other bulls you will see out with the herd will be satellite and younger bulls.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back