Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Possible Custom Project

BackofBeyond

So I’ve got an itch to do a custom rifle, preferably with some sort of wildcat-ish round. I’ve listed out the possible starting points, what I would do with them each, and cons of each build.

1. Winchester M 70 carbine flyweight in .30-06. Early 80’s vintage model 70, this was my dad’s gun that he passed down to me. I’m thinking keep the action as is, same with the wood stock, rebarrel with a CF wrapped piece of awesomeness chambered in .30 Gibbs. Cons are that it’s Papa’s gun, and really dad passed it down with the intention of it going to my kids. Also, as it sits (~6.5 pds with a vx3 3.5x10) it kicks like a mule. I can’t imagine that a higher charge weight in a .30 Gibbs would help that.

2. Savage Model 10T in .308. Here’s where it gets interesting, but complicated. This was the gun I built with the goal of 1000 yards for $1000, and got there. Basically junk the entire thing except the action, CF wrapped awesomeness, McMillan stock, upgrade scope from the SWFA 10x to the VX6 2-12 and chamber it in 6.5x.284. Cons - would have to pick up a different .308 because wifey won’t let me not have a .308. So gets expensive because I have to buy a gun to build a gun.

3. Savage Model 116 Stainless in 7RM. I’ve already swapped out this stock and bedded the action, again, add a CF wrapped awesomeness chambered in 7mm x .300 WM. Cons is I really like this rifle. I really do, but my new Ridgeline .300 PRC has made it redundant. Do I really need another magnum type caliber? If I did a .280 AI that would be cool, but not really a step up over the 7RM. Just swap the barrel and keep it a 7RM?

Or just say screw it, find a Model 700 donor action, and start fresh.

What do you think HT? What should I do?

Sounds like 1,2,3 are all solid rifles with some history. I’d pickup a donor rifle or action and build a 7/300Win!
The 7/300Win is a fun cartridge and easy to form brass.
If you don’t want to spend the extra money for a donor I’d pull the barrel on the 116 and set it up as your 7/300Win.

Starting from a 700 donor action and building up is something I really want to do some day, so that’s got my vote. If you found a short action with magnum bolt face, a 6.5 GAP would be a neat round and well outside the cartridges you’ve already got.

Start from scratch. Find a Mauser action and go from there. Once in a while hideous garage variety "sporterized" classic war horses come up on the net that're worth cannibalizing. Right now I'm in the process of upgrading my WWII Springfield and amazed at the stuff I can find on the net. I'd love to change it to Model 70 style 3-position safety but can't justify the $475 US price tag. It is kinda fun and definitely more meanigful making your own gun. That's something worth handing down. A rifle you put together will always be treasured more than something from an assembly line, no matter how much you used it. I don't think I'd go in for an exotic wildcat cartridge. That can easily become dead weight for the next generation.

Sell #3...it's not worth much because it's a Savage but it'll offset a few bucks of the top. Skip the Rem700 donor action because by the time you find a rifle that's worth messing with and have the action trued, and maybe having the bolt finished; you're right there with an entry level custom action and all you have is an expensive Remington. Get a custom action...pic your poison there are literally hundreds out there. Get prefit barrel cut for whatever cartridge you think you want. Put the stock and a decent trigger on it and go shooting.

Sell #3...it's not worth much because it's a Savage but it'll offset a few bucks of the top. Skip the Rem700 donor action because by the time you find a rifle that's worth messing with and have the action trued, and maybe having the bolt finished; you're right there with an entry level custom action and all you have is an expensive Remington. Get a custom action...pic your poison there are literally hundreds out there. Get prefit barrel cut for whatever cartridge you think you want. Put the stock and a decent trigger on it and go shooting.
This is pretty solid advice. Depending on your budget a custom action might be a viable option.
I can tell you this though. One of the most accurate rifles I’ve ever been around was a Rem 700 action with only the action face trued, lugs cut and aftermarket recoil lug. The key to an accurate rifle besides a good shooter is a dialed in and concentric cut chamber. The key is the setup and dialing in the barrel. A good gunsmith is well worth the money spent IMO.

Starting from a 700 donor action and building up is something I really want to do some day, so that’s got my vote. If you found a short action with magnum bolt face, a 6.5 GAP would be a neat round and well outside the cartridges you’ve already got.

My other thought was to base it off the 116, long action, but keep it a short action caliber so I’d have plenty of magazine room for “heavy for caliber” bullets.

So something like 6.5 Gap or 6.5x.284 but in a long action.

My other thought was to base it off the 116, long action, but keep it a short action caliber so I’d have plenty of magazine room for “heavy for caliber” bullets.

So something like 6.5 Gap or 6.5x.284 but in a long action.
The 6.5GAP/6.5SAUM is a great choice. It’s one of my favorite rifles I own. Easy to shoot also.

I am a huge believer in legacy guns, but I also had a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 30/06 that kicked like a mule. Just really became for my family functionally useless, since no one wanted to use it. So what about going the opposite direction with it, maintaining its legacy by bringing the caliber down to something more enjoyable to shoot, 25/06 or something?

I am a huge believer in legacy guns, but I also had a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 30/06 that kicked like a mule. Just really became for my family functionally useless, since no one wanted to use it. So what about going the opposite direction with it, maintaining its legacy by bringing the caliber down to something more enjoyable to shoot, 25/06 or something?
I hear ya, but despite the kick I still shoot it and use it at times. It carrys great, and as long as you aren’t trying to put a box of ammo through it, it isn’t flinch inducing.

That being said, definitely won’t start my boys out on it either.

This and I’ll sell ya one that’s already ready to go.😁

Edit: This one is probably going to get listed FS soon. Jon beanland built, PTG stainless blueprinted 700, manners SL, timney, 25” bartlein 8.5 twist, maybe 500 rounds on barrel and 1500 on action. 7C6F7E08-85BF-4477-A7DD-519C141F617F.jpeg54DF002F-7552-4331-AC9C-33FAB6E205E8.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd keep the 3 you have, and get a donor action.
Lotta hate on Savage.
Anyone that wants to sell their Savage actions to me, i'll take em!
Easy to work on, upgrades & parts are out there.

As far as cartridges, what are you leaning towards?

As far as cartridges, what are you leaning towards?
I really like the 6.5x.284, 6.5 Gap, 6.5 SAUM range. Great bullet with high B.C. available, especially if it’s off a LA. Also recoil shouldn’t be beating on me (or at some point, my boys) like a rented mule.

Ultimate intention for it would be a rifle that’s fun to shoot. Not necessarily built for hunting, but I could hunt with it. As much as I love hunting, it’s a relatively short part of the year. There’s more chances to sneak off and shoot for a morning than there is to get to the elk woods… so enjoyable to shoot, and load for is the end goal overall.

This and I’ll sell ya one that’s already ready to go.😁

Edit: This one is probably going to get listed FS soon. Jon beanland built, PTG stainless blueprinted 700, manners SL, timney, 25” bartlein 8.5 twist, maybe 500 rounds on barrel and 1500 on action. View attachment 212502View attachment 212503
Looks awesome, and I’m not taking that option totally off the table, but also want to do a custom build for the sake of learning the process.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back