Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Polar bears

Blu
I too would like to see an unbiased true scientific study done without agenda or desired result in mind and have nonpartisan peer review done to verify the study.

I'm sure a small investment of time on scholar.google.com will find a fair number of such studies.

I'm sure a small investment of time on scholar.google.com will find a fair number of such studies.

I will not rely on what I find on the internet per se. Ttoo much is filtered out on Google. I would like to see the actual study that I can read in detail and not just a summary published by a third party. All too often third party publishers have an agenda and take data reported out of context. I am following a few groups that are studying polar bear but I have yet to see conclusive data that has been properly peer reviewed.

That’s just for America though right? An American could go to Canada and hunt them and just not bring the hide or the skull back?

That is correct, and several from the U.S. still have their trophy in storage in Canada, waiting, praying, hoping the law will change.

Also, let me mention a couple other things after reading through this thread. Only Inuits are allowed to hunt Polar Bears in Alaska and they also have some pretty strict restrictions placed upon them. We have both a home in town and a cabin that can only be reached via float plane. It is very expensive to live, or at least set - up to live off the grid . Even after your all set up, there are so many factors involved with not needing any money. Gardening is important, so your off the grid location needs to have sunlight, not be in the trees, have sunlight available to the plot is important, as your growing season is short. Supplies from small towns in Alaska can be three times what it would cost in Anchorage, you must plan very well, oh and you will need money for those supplies, You need to be a very good hunter or you will get hungry real fast. 'Trading" a few pelts for ammo and supplies is not received as well as it is in the movies. Living off the land is not easy, or cheap. But for a few days or weeks it is heaven, :love: Also, I forgot. My parents and grandparents built what I am enjoying, and I thank them.

Last edited:
I will not rely on what I find on the internet per se. Ttoo much is filtered out on Google. I would like to see the actual study that I can read in detail and not just a summary published by a third party. All too often third party publishers have an agenda and take data reported out of context. I am following a few groups that are studying polar bear but I have yet to see conclusive data that has been properly peer reviewed.

That's what Scholar.google.com does - it is a library card catalog in effect. It catalogs all published, peer-reviewed studies.

It will take you articles like this one, for instance.

There seems to be agreement that there is somewhere between 20 to 40 thousand polar bears. Also seems to be agreement that there was roughly 5,000 polar bears 40 to 50 years ago. I'm no Einstein but that seems to be an increase in numbers. So if the opportunity was there would you wanna take on a polar bear hunt.

I have not reviewed the data in the link provided, but I intend to look at it tonight. Just from what I read though, I tend to believe the thought that polar bears are actually thriving not perishing as climate change fanatics claim.

I have not reviewed the data in the link provided, but I intend to look at it tonight. Just from what I read though, I tend to believe the thought that polar bears are actually thriving not perishing as climate change fanatics claim.

Well, you can choose to believe what you want to believe or you can believe what the data say. That's entirely up to you. That paper, and many others that I tried to show you how to find are yours to discover and understand.

Brent, mtmiller, others

thought you might enjoy this

One respected scientist was 99% certain that the blond grizzly's he saw were hybrid's. His theory, was that hybridization will occur, and in fact had started. As the sea ice continues to melt, the Polar will morph back into the brown bear from which they came, and the bear's he observed were proof of that.

But his 99% sure, turned out to be 100% wrong, after a comprehensive DNA was completed and the conclusion was ----all eight blond bears came from one female Polar who preferred Grizzly males. Two male Grizzly's , one female Polar, eight blond offspring's.

No hybridization ---yet.

Now lets turn the tables. An older respected First Nation hunter, trapper, guide stated unequively that the population of the Polar Bears have increased, and he added "significantly " when ask how he came to that conclusion he stated that he saw more of them this year than ever before. We ask, politely, if there was any chance at least one of the bears he had seen recently, might be the same bear he had seen before. His response: Are you suggesting I dont the difference between bears when I see them ? I also wanted to ask him if he was sober each time he counted them and saw them, but I didn't

If it was easy anybody could count them :) one, two, three------------four ( or was that the same one--doesnt matter )--five -----or, if your against hunting them. one two three ---four (or was that the same one--IT WAS--o.k.) back to three

Yeah, if it was easy!

There are so many simple questions and yet so rarely can we get the data for good answers.

How many polar bears are there?

What limits the abundance of deer mice in cornfields?

Simple, yet nearly impossible to answer in some cases. And when you can, it is with error bars that are longer than the mean.

But I love all the folks at their keyboards that know, via "common sense" what all the answers are to these and far more difficult questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back