Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Picked up the Remington 700 ADL

EKYHunter

Ordered a Remington 700 ADL in .308 from Sportsman’s Warehouse and picked it up yesterday. Rifle feels very solid and fit and finish is great. Action is very smooth and the rifle seems well made. Feels much better than the Savage Axis II that I own and much better than the Ruger American rifles that I’ve shot. Of course the main thing is how well it will shoot so we’ll see. Pleased so far though.

Attachments

• 15506DF7-E1FE-414D-849D-4CD9FC1B157B.jpeg
    15506DF7-E1FE-414D-849D-4CD9FC1B157B.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 36
  • A14B1BB8-94E3-4A03-B3BC-568BE2EED013.jpeg
    A14B1BB8-94E3-4A03-B3BC-568BE2EED013.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 35
  • 41059122-E4B1-4062-8FB7-CD601F3E67DD.jpeg
    41059122-E4B1-4062-8FB7-CD601F3E67DD.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 4FEBA463-B7C3-4CB1-B8D5-5E4B6FBF4063.jpeg
    4FEBA463-B7C3-4CB1-B8D5-5E4B6FBF4063.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 36
I think Remington at their worst was better than a base model Savage. That one appears to have a better finish than most of the late 700’s I saw, but it’s hard to tell from a picture. Hopefully the new ownership has made an effort to improve everything.

All that said, even the late ones shot great for me, but I always re-chamber or re-barrel.

New production I believe.
Dis they make an ADL with a matt finish and jeweled bolt in recent years, or ever?
I don’t think they did. On the Sportsman’s Warehouse website, the pictures of the gun show a matte black bolt. I was surprised when the nice man at the counter opened the box and the bolt was jeweled.

My favorite rifle of all time. I have owned 12-15 rifles and this is my all time favorite. I had Tim McCormick who was head of Remington Custom Arms shop build me a 338 Safari Rifle. Several of my "gun nut friends" felt it it was among the very best ever. My son now owns it. It has a laminated wood stock, good looking but HEAVY. The weight takes a lot of the recoil out so it is a pain to carry but joy to shoot. Winchester had an ammo called "FAILSAFE" that it liked. I took 11 animals straight with it with one shot when it was new. Then I took it on a moose hunt in Alaska....225 yards, quartering to me, about 15" inches behind the ear......autopsy showed it was about 1" above the spinal chord...6 shots later, all in vital areas; neck and lungs. The wound channel was about 1"...never used those shells again.

Last edited:
I think Remington at their worst was better than a base model Savage. That one appears to have a better finish than most of the late 700’s I saw, but it’s hard to tell from a picture. Hopefully the new ownership has made an effort to improve everything.

All that said, even the late ones shot great for me, but I always re-chamber or re-barrel.
Kinda makes it NOT a factory Remington then.

I was gifted a 700 ADL quite a numbed of years ago, plastic junk stock! Wouldn't shoot worth a crud so decided to bed it. Took out the action screws and to get the barreled action out of that stock I had to beat on the back of the couch with the barrel in front of the stock. Never have seen anything that deplorable before or after. Long story sshort, took a dremel tool and liquid steel to it and barreled action now slips in just right and rifle is much more accurate than me I think. I get 1/2" groups at 100 yds with it. Always have liked Remingtons and always hated those plastic stocks! That rifle now wears a 700 ADL wood stock and still shoot's lights out.

Last edited:
Kinda makes it NOT a factory Remington then.
The action is.

I don’t think I used the word “factory” in my post.

I can’t think of a $248 action I would rather have to start a build. This summer I bought an RR prefix ADL at Walmart for $389, after sales tax it was $421. It came with a 3-9 scope and Leupold rings and bases. For the scope, rings, bases, and stock I got $76 after fees. For the barrel I got $98 after fees.

The final build shoots great. It’s a “factory” stainless 700 barrel that was then rechambered. No the barrel is not in factory condition, but it is not a custom barrel with cut or buttoned rifling that has been hand lapped.

Last edited:
I no longer buy production guns.

Or I find Uber cheap like an old stevens 200 LA and turn it into a project.

And no, the savage axis isn’t something I’d go to.

Even a new 700 adl like this I’d now steer clear from. And at one time it was high on my desire list.

The more of my own gunsmithing I’ve done and the further down that rabbit hole you go, you understand how bad production guns really are.

By the time you buy the tooling etc…

A low end custom gun is money ahead.

Ordered a Remington 700 ADL in .308 from Sportsman’s Warehouse and picked it up yesterday. Rifle feels very solid and fit and finish is great. Action is very smooth and the rifle seems well made. Feels much better than the Savage Axis II that I own and much better than the Ruger American rifles that I’ve shot. Of course the main thing is how well it will shoot so we’ll see. Pleased so far though.
Something I can say about the way it feels to you. Even if it wasn't up to par shooting, the feel is right and you like the fit and finish. In all likely hood, if it doesn't shoot well enough for you, you'll probably put in the time making it shoot if you do those things. I think probably the most important thing's about buying a gun are how it feels to you and if you like the way it looks. I believe most new rifles today and some of the older ones are all capabile of making shoot better. If the rifle is right for you you'd probably learn to live with a 1" rifle. For hunting the difference in 1/2" down there is not gonna make any really noticeable difference!

Last edited:
I hope it shoots well. I’d really like to see Remington get back on track.
I recently traded into a “C” prefix 308 ADL. Blued gun with a jeweled bolt someone had put in a factory plastic stock. Ordered a replacement Boyd’s classic to put it in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back