MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor, ammo?

Tiredofthebickering

Well, I've been jonesing for a 6.5 creedmoor to have as a dedicated "smaller than elk" rifle for a while now and grabbed the Savage Axis II from the Bass Pro black Friday sale. Before I start randomly grabbing whatever boxes of ammo I can find, do y'all have any recommendations to start with?

Mine is a Tikka CTR 20in. I have tried several factory loads but the most accurate has been the Barnes 120gr TTSX. All I have tried have been close to MOA or better though. That Hornady 143gr ELD-X load was a close second. I have yet to shoot a critter with it but it is fun to shoot at distance.

For cheaper than average but seemingly good ammo, I am having some luck with Fiocchi Field Dynamics 129 grain PSP. Seems to be loaded pretty hot, but it groups tightly enough. Dropped a doe antelope at 300+ with good bullet performance (obvious perfect expansion / passthrough / with little wasted meat).

When I say it is loaded hot, I am getting a hint of sticky bolt lift on my Ruger American.

Everything I have shot from my 6.5 has been pretty much on point for hunting groups to 350 yards. I don’t split hairs on the bench but I’d assume premium ammo will give you better groups still, but at what cost.

143gr Hornady ELD-X seems to be a consistently accurate and deadly cartridge for most makes/models in 6.5CM. Some don't like the weight retention, but they are accurate and deadly...

Edit - to add, most of the large manufacturers I've dealt with use the 143 ELD-X factory cartridge as a reference for their MOA guarantees. I've dealt with warranty work from Savage, Bergara and Fierce uses it as an option for their half-MOA guarantee.

Last edited:
Whatever is cheapest, buy it. S&B tactical was consistently more accurate than all the mainstream " match grade" offerings. I regret not buying a pallet of it when it was readily available. Fusion would be my next choice, one of the most underrated offerings available for hunting or plinking.
In the end it really comes down to how many rounds you plan on shooting...

I hunt with 142 gr Nosler Accubond LR, but shoot ELD-X off the bench because they're cheaper and easier for me to find. Out of my multiple 6.5 CMs, they have the same POI without adjusting anything on the scopes.

If I were hunting only antelope, I would just use the ELD-X. I had terrible luck with the Vor-TX LR 127 gr Barnes, as I could seem to get much expansion at all on antelope. Most of mine will get used for elk too, which is why I use the Accubond.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back