Paw licking?

nettereo16

My pup has been having some issues with paw licking. She appears to be allergic to something and frequently licks her paws to the point they get rubbed raw between the toes. Not only do I feel bad for her itchy paws it's also pretty annoying to listen to.

We've tried a few anti-itch topicals. The more expensive anti-allergy prescriptions seem to work okay but wear off after treatment (Apoquel (pill) and Cytopoint (shot)).

Anyone have any suggestions that has worked for their pup?

1D42872B-B3BD-4AB6-A3C2-FFE357370CCA (1).jpg

My pup has been having some issues with paw licking. She appears to be allergic to something and frequently licks her paws to the point they get rubbed raw between the toes. Not only do I feel bad for her itchy paws it's also pretty annoying to listen to.

We've tried a few anti-itch topicals. The more expensive anti-allergy prescriptions seem to work okay but wear off after treatment (Apoquel (pill) and Cytopoint (shot)).

Anyone have any suggestions that has worked for their pup?

View attachment 173237

No idea where you live, but here in SD the salt used to thaw the ice will make their paws raw and they will lick them because they hurt. Could be something like that?

I've had good luck with mushers secret for helping with dry pads to repair them. Doesn't stop the licking but can help with repair

As for the licking, that's a constant battle of saying no for me haha. If it got too bad maybe you could put on booties so they can't get to the pad? Next option would be cone, but I'm sure that would be a pain.

What type of dog food do you run? I've heard of dogs having reactions to dog food before. Pro plan has a sensitive skin variety for that reason.

No idea where you live, but here in SD the salt used to thaw the ice will make their paws raw and they will lick them because they hurt. Could be something like that?

I've had good luck with mushers secret for helping with dry pads to repair them. Doesn't stop the licking but can help with repair

As for the licking, that's a constant battle of saying no for me haha. If it got too bad maybe you could put on booties so they can't get to the pad? Next option would be cone, but I'm sure that would be a pain.

What type of dog food do you run? I've heard of dogs having reactions to dog food before. Pro plan has a sensitive skin variety for that reason.

thanks for the reply - we're in NC so no issues with road salt. Her pads are in good shape, it's the skin between the toes that is itchy.
We're disciplined about telling her to stop the licking. We have considered booties to allow it to heal up.

We feed her Fromm dog food. Perhaps it's worth trying a different bag but the allergy is only on the paws so I dont know

My yellow lab has this same issue, the first time we took him in they gave him prescription allergy meds helped a little but
Not much. Took him back and the vet did some type of test and found it was some
Type of fungal infection. They gave him 2 or 3 Kinds of medicine and it cleared up and stayed gone for 6 months or so after the meds stopped.. I’m actually going to be taking him back to the vet again as it has started occurring again. Not sure if yours is the same issue but it sounds just like it.

Our yellow Lab has the same issue with his paws. He also develops ear infections very easily. As mentioned it is some kind of allergy. To combat we feed him grain free, give him a skin and coat supplement, fish oil pill and cheap allergy antihistamine pills. All of this daily.

thanks for the reply - we're in NC so no issues with road salt. Her pads are in good shape, it's the skin between the toes that is itchy.
We're disciplined about telling her to stop the licking. We have considered booties to allow it to heal up.

We feed her Fromm dog food. Perhaps it's worth trying a different bag but the allergy is only on the paws so I dont know
Have you chatted with your vet? They might have some additional insights

Random as hell but smell ur pups paws . If they smell like fritos original corn chips. You might have a yeast infection or athlete's feet type of deal. I'm no vet or anything just something I have come across in mt dogs before. Works for ears also.

If you have cleared infection, fungus, or disease (diabetes likely), then I would almost certainly point you to a food allergy. If are getting results with the meds but nothing lasting, I would try switching foods. Look for high proteins, higher end labels. I don't think you need to move from dry dog foods, but you could try some of the canned and refrigerator ones if the dry don't' clear it up.

Paw licking can also be a sign of anxiety and boredom. I remember reading years ago after talking to a SF medic about the team's dog licking that said the paw licking can release endorphines that in turn can give the dog a little buzz.

I'd bet its allergy related. Seems to be more and more common. We've struggled with skin and paw issues with a few of our dogs and it took a while to figure it out. One was allergic to fish, and fish is in about 90% of dog foods and treats. Which makes sense since we rape and pillage the ocean for trash fish that no one wants to eat. :) Another was allergic to beef/raw hides, and the current one was allergic to plastics/rubber from toys. The one that was allergic to fish had paw, ear and skin issues, it was maddening. Took us 2 years to figure it out. Its very unlikely that dogs are allergic to fish, many are allergic to grains and some meats. They all went away after we figured it out.

Our 12 year old lab licks hot spots on her legs and paws. She will do it to the point that she has open wounds. She has done this since she was a pup. We have tried all the allergy meds, tried to keep her busy with chew toys, changed diets, etc. Our most recent attempt is probiotic chews that are supposed to help with allergy and yeast issues. We have tried it all but she doesn't seem to care. One of these days she will get an infection but I guess if that's what gets her at this point she lived a good life licking as much as she wants. Some dogs just lick. Vet also suggested putting her on a medicate for anxiety and boredom but we have 2 young kids, a stay at home wife, and a cat to entertain during the day and me in the mornings and evenings. At her age she mostly sleeps anyway so not sure anxiety pills are in the cards. For now my wife wears ear plugs at night so the dog doesn't wake her with the licking.

I appreciate everyone's insight. We will look into all suggestions & report back if we ever find anything out

Our dog does this and is allergic to certain grasses in Montana.

The best preventative measure for us was to rinse the dogs paws in water every time we bring her in from long walks outside in natural areas.

It is a hassle, however, it rally makes a difference.

She is only 25 lbs, so it is a lot easier than a lab sized dog...

Good luck,
Mr. Fishunt

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back