Paradox Packs Vs Stone Glacier

MThuntr

Ok now that I have started to swap out all of my gear for lighter, better built stuff I've now come to the pack. I'm down to Stone Glacier 5100 and Paradox 4800 pack with the Evolution Frame.http://paradoxpacks.com/design/

At the moment I know of several guys on here that run the Stone Glacier but it seems few (if any) guys are using the Paradox system. Seems both have their pluses but I can't seem to find many that have used the Paradox to give a review.

Any thoughts? Alternatives?

I tried out a Paradox pack and a Stone Glacier pack.

Mine was one of the first production runs of the Paradox pack and to me the fit and finish on it wasn't near as good as the fit and finish on the Stone Glacier.

I lost all confidence in it when I went to pick it up by the shoulder strap to put it on with about 60lbs of gear in the pack and the strap broke where it was stitched together. It didn't help that that was about 5 miles from the truck on the first day of a 5 day backcountry hunt. They did take it back and refund my money though so customer service is good.

On my Wyoming elk hunt I did rip the gun bearer attachment off my Stone Glacier pack while I was sliding down the mountain with a fully loaded pack, but I think that was a little beyond normal expectations. I need to send it in and get it fixed but I keep forgetting to. I have the Solo bag on the Stone Glacier, they didn't have the 5100 out yet when I bought mine. With the load shelf and the approach bag add on I think you could do a 7 day backpack hunt with the Solo, as long as you didn't kill on the first day and have to haul all your food back out with whatever you shot.

I'm not pack savvy enough to really get into any of the technical differences between the 2 packs, the higher stays on the Paradox might help if you are tall and hauling a huge load, but I've hauled a couple 100 pound loads with the Stone Glacier and the load lifters do help, maybe not as much as if they were a couple inches higher, but the pack is super comfortable when you are not hauling out a big load too.

I'm sure Paradox has had a chance to get their fit and finish figured out now that they are a couple years into production too.

My 2 cents, probably not worth much.

I'm 6'4" & also have the stone glacier solo. I don't backpack hunt, it's just a daypack for me. It's overkill for that. But, I've hauled out 4 elk now with it and am glad I have it. It has held up well and swallows large amounts of meat. It's stays are long enough for me, I'm able to keep the weight on my hips rather than shoulders. I have no experience with paradox packs.

No experience with the Paradox but the SG is a great pack. I've have the approach and solo and they work wonderful. Kurt is a great guy to deal with and he designed a great system for the backcountry hunter.

Randy

dang this is tough not being able to compare them side by side. I've only seen one the Stone Glacier Packs at Schnee's in Bozeman but it was the huge pack and they only had the 1. It seems each has a dedicated following that swear theirs is the best. I'll probably contact each maker and request a display model to try on and test out.

I have eliminated Kifaru and am on the verge of eliminating Mystery Ranch...although they do have some of the toughest out there

JR thanks for the link. It was quite helpful.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back